Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Lowering caps?

i've heard of these before, but never seen one or known anyone to use them?

i've decided to change suspension again on my car, the ride is total crap basically and i'm really sick of it :lol: :bad-words:

i was thinking if i bought standard VW suspension and used lowering caps as they do a small drop, -15mm/20mm something like that.

i've tried two sets of -40mm and they drop the front way more than 40mm, the back is fine, exactly how i want it, its just the front is too low, which is mucking up my geometery and i think giving me the back handling.

i want to buy some new bits, take it to stealth and have them fit everything and set it all up how it should be

I fitted JOM ones on my valver to cure the slightly low rear end with eibach springs, the Corrado ones only lower about 10mm as the standard ones are already lower than mk2 golf caps.

The problem I had was they took the front wishbones to just under level with the eibach front springs, I ended up reverting to normal caps and cutting a new higher spring baseplate groove in my rear konis to raise the back a little more.

I think most aftermarket springs lower more at the front than eibachs though, which is probably why eibach decided to go no lower than they did (wishbone angle).

yeah, you have to lower over 35mm to get the wishbones level (on an early valver at least) no spring caps are going to go that low on their own

i think this may be the way forward, maybe won't look as good visually, but should be more how it was designed to be.

i guess the suspension revision from early to late was done for a reason by VW

maybe some bigger wheels would help fill the arches without causing too many issues

but they state a minimum drop of -40 or -45mm i think, which has proved too much with two sets of springs already :lol:

Get a good quailty set of Coilies and you shouldn't have any issues... mismatched springs and dampers will give all sorts of issues! Possibly what your issue is... If you feel the backs "twitchy" have you checked the rear beam bushes?

Plus it means that you'll be able to set the car "Flat"...

Weitec or KW-1's are a great starting point... Kev Runs KW's on the Turbot-nutta... plus lots of positive feedback means I'm heading down the KW route albeit the KW-1 as I don't trust myself to mess about with bounce and rebound settings! :lol:

im running JOM spring caps on the passat as with 40mm springs on it all round it sat quite nose-high, the JOM lowering caps did exactly as they said on the tin and brought it back level, and im now really pleased with the way it sits.

Ive got PI springs with the 92mm top coil on VR top mounts so needed the mk4 golf type spring caps. Handling is spot on, as proven recently when i was on holiday in wales for 2 weeks, epic amount of grip for a FWD estate!

However, I think they bind on the top of the spring occasionally and they clunk when parking etc, every bolt on the suspension,steering and subframe is torqued up properly so can only assume theres something weird going on with the top mounts/spring caps (ran them with normal VW spring plates for a few months and they were fine).

Anybody got any info on where to get the JOM ones? Been thinking about a set for the front of my motor for the same reasons as others have said - I lowered the car with a KONI STR.T kit but used VR6 top mounts at the front and seem to suffer from the front being a bit taller than the back so just want to drop the front 10mm or so to level it out a bit!

theres something that seems to change how the front end sits? mine is too low, and others are too high :lol:

depends if you drive in the ruts lorries leave or not :)

When I fit mine mate I'll let you know what I think!I'm in the same boat cost wise.

Nick

Good man.

Mine is already lowered using Eibach springs on Bilstein shocks but its not low enough

Mine is apparently dropped 40mm but I don't know what set up is fitted. It sits quite nicely at the rear but the front is a little high, I hope the caps fit.

Nick

Ive just been out and measured, if the caps drop mine 10mm it will sit very nicely with the arch very close to the tyre and splitter very close to the floor

Yours is a VR right? My caps are part numbered for a VR so if they don't work/fit on my valver you're welcome to have them for what I paid.

Not sure when I'm going to get round to a trial fitment though.

Nick

Mine are the JOM ones, paid £16 for them off a fella on here, brand new in box. Took a punt hoping they'd fit.

Nick