Sign in to follow this  
SamG40

Lambda value for VAGCOM

Evening, can anyone please tell me what they see for the values on VAGCOM for a healthy lambda probe please? I've been getting a Lambda fault code and I had a failure on the MOT for emissions. It only cycles between 0.95 and 1.04 or so which to me dosent seem to be correct. I've done a search and cant really find a defintive answer.

The emissions failure was the CO2 level was 0.98 by the way with the limit being 0.30. Apparently it was fluctuating up and down.

I cant remember the exact error but it was something along the lines of the lambda value out of range and being intermittent. Surely the voltage should cycle to a lower voltage on idle. I was always led to believe that Lambda's read between 0 and 1 volts?!

Yes, but the VAGCOM value isn't volts, it's lambda.. The fact that the error is "intermittent" confirms to me that while you're reading it it's fine - 0.95-1.05 is right.

I guess you either have to replace it anyway, or keep reading the values until you see something that's genuinely bogus.

Ah right, cheers for that. Well I replaced it last night. Will keep an eye on it.

If it isnt this that is causing my emissions though I'm a bit stumped. The car is running fine but the fuel consumption has been well down on what it used to be.

Woohoo. Seems it must have been the Lambda. I've just got back from the MOT and it passed with a CO reading of 0 and a HC reading of 7ppm which now seems incredibly low!