Sign in to follow this  
KipVR

Brembo refurb piccies

I bought some brembo calipers a while back off ebay cheap, they were actually brand new, but they came off an Aston Martin and so had their branding on them. I tried spraying them with halfords silver caliper spray but wasn't happy with the result. They marked too easily and the finish wasn't the best, but that might of been my spraying :D

I decided that I might as well get them powder coated as my car isn't going to be finished sometime yet. This is a pain in the ass though because powder coating involves three processes, grit blasting, and then heating before spraying on the powder which then melts to form a nice even coat.

That meant I had to totally strip my calipers to protect them from the grit getting into unwanted places, and to stop the rubber bits from getting sprayed etc. I siliconed little covers roughly the same size as the pads onto the surface, and then plugged any holes with old bleed nipples.

I thought these calipers were identical to the Seat ones but they aren't; the pots are slightly smaller, which means less asistance, but more feel. I've got a set of the Seat dust caps if anyone wants them, £20. (for 1 caliper)

Anyway that's it, just got to bolt them back together and take off the coating on the mating surfaces where I forgot to mask up :wink:

Corrado92.pdfP121108_19.30.JPG[/attachment:1h1m9qxx]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP121108_19.31[01].JPG[/attachment:1h1m9qxx]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP121108_19.32.JPG[/attachment:1h1m9qxx]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP121108_19.33.JPG[/attachment:1h1m9qxx]P121108_19.35[03].JPG[/attachment:1h1m9qxx]

Nice finish, and interesting to see them broken right down.

Where did you have it done? OR have you access to the kit?

He he, you'll end up doing wat i've done and getting literally everything done! :roll: It protects well though.

Mmmmm powder coated pants....

Just wish they were a bit closer, would only really want a few items like calipers doing and some shotblasting...

hey there buddy, the calipersare looking really good - will defo bring mine over to you when i get them done for a bit of a sanity check.

glad you are happy - they look fantastic :D

nice finish, what wheels are the going behind and how much clearance do they require from the hub face to the inside of the spokes?

Very nice looking Calipers man! I would also be very keen to find out if they fit behind RXs!! To mount them to the car will you use the Seat mounts or are you having some made?

Cheers

Zak, are you wondering about getting bigger brakes behind those nice CH's you have? If you can't push the wheels out because of the width of them, then you can try offsetting the disk and caliper in further by junking the Seat 28mm disk and using a 30mm disk and disk bell set up, you can buy the from various sources AP, Hi Spec etc.. You can't go too far inboard though because you'll hit the wishbone when cornering. The disks are the weak point of the Seat system as outlined here.....

http://www.drivertuition.com/LeonCupraBrakes.htm

Hi Kip

Yes i'm contemplating fiting a set of brembos so just curious as to other corrado owners set ups at the moment. Your right with a 2 piece bell and disc set up you can ofset the discs inboard for more clearance, the link looks interesting i'll have a read later. Are the orginal seat discs one piece? Witout measuring i have what looks like 40mm + worth of clearance behind the ch's so they fit without a problem. I'm going to have a good measure when i take them off next

I'm making some Chris, easy enough, bit of 2014 should do the job.

You make it sound so easy! :lol:

Zak the Seat ones (std) one one piece