Sign in to follow this  
carpoid

Whats wrong here ?? Help please..

After working till late last night getting my new outer cv's, hubs, discs etc on, i've driven it up down the road, feels OK, but look at the difference in offset here in the pics.

I've also noticed the morning whilst jacking the car up the top mounts are loose, i can grab the wheel and move it in and out, should it be like that ? I got a socket onto the strut top and it kept turning when i tried, should i be holding something whilst tightening it ??

Pics, its alwayslooked a bit different from left to right, now with 17's it seems to make it more noticeable

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfImported Photos 00059.JPG[/attachment:7qx17npb]

Imported Photos 00060.JPG[/attachment:7qx17npb]

Sounds to me like your struts aren't bolted to the hub chap, the two bolts at the bottom of the strut are loose.

Or the wishbone perhaps. Take the wheel off and have a wiggle n watch.

O i'll have a look, but the movement was at the top when i jacked it up with the bonnet up, i could see the strut top moving..

Cheers

Oh right I see, sorry I thought you meant the top of the wheel! The strut tops do move when you take the load off them that's normal bud. But it does look as if your camber is out. Get a spirit level up against it for a quick check (ps needs to have a vertical bubble on it!) you should have a slight gap at the top of the wheel when holding it vertical.

Yeah everything seems tight, but the camber is out by a mile, the top of the left rim is nearly flush with the arch, but the right (driver side) is tucked in by about 10 mm. How can i adjust it ??

The two bolts that bolt the strut to the hub carrier, loosed them off until you can just move the wheel in and out, then use the gap between the inner rim and the strut leg as a reference point. From memory I could just get a fat finger in there (17x7.5 rim et35), just make sure it is the same both sides, and then get it to a garage as soon as is convenient to get it done properly.

Oh, and your top mounts may be worn out, ould be worth getting them checked and replaced before getting alignment done.

Thanks for the help guys, i sorted it thanks to you !!

Good point about the early/late wing, i might go and cheack that in a minute....