Sign in to follow this  
ant_43

Another ABS related question

Good evening Corrado people,

Not had my '95 VR6 long, but already this forum has helped me diagnose and fix a few little problems i've found with it. Cleaned the ISV this weekend and the engine idles very nicely now!

I've just trawled through a lot of ABS / pedal position sensor threads because i have a (what i've found to be quite common) problem. At low speeds the brakes sometimes suddenly become very sensitive, accompanied by a grinding / buzzing noise which then stops and brakes will revert back to normal - this only happens at low speeds thankfully! Over the last few days it has been doing this more often. I see this can be related to the pedal position sensor, which i may have to replace. I'm going to try to get the ECU fault codes read and see what that comes up with.

The ABS light has never come on when the car is started, and from what i can tell i don't feel a pumping on the brake pedal from the ABS pump either. But surely if i am having the problem described above, then the ABS is working? The ABS dash light itself looks like it could be broken so will try replacing that.

I had a look at the ABS ECU and it looked fairly clean / not corroded connections, but while there i did notice that there is a wire that has been cut which runs round the back and under the ECU, then along the top of the sill under the plastic cover towards the rear seats. Looking at the cut end of the wire it is made up of a collection of thin wires and a couple larger, moulded together. If you look at it looks like a large O next to a small o (if that makes sense)! ( Oo ). I couldn't find another end of it where it could have been cut from.

Any ideas what this wire is that has been cut? And any more suggestions on the brake problem very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Ant

It's not worth pondering over it chap. Get it to a VAGCOM and find the fault codes. You get the symptoms you're talking about form a bad sensor/ring.

Actually you're right kipvr, its not worth discussing until i have some fault codes. I've just had it plugged into a "x431 Launch", and it came up with a few codes mainly to do with the ABS sensors, and also some others which i'm not too sure about? The codes were cleared and i took it for a quick drive, during which the problem i had before didn't occur. Plugged it back in and the only ABS fault code was:

00276 ABS outlet valve, rear left -N136

I assume as i didn't experience the previous problem mentioned in my first post, a code wouldn't be created for that?

Any ideas whats up with the ABS outlet valve - or what it means exactly?

Here are the printouts:

http://i476.photobucket.com/albums/rr12 ... tcodes.jpg

I appreciate any help with this & also what the cut wire could be that runs next to the ABS ECU?

Thanks