Sign in to follow this  
-Neil-

what do my spark plugs tell me..

well changed my plugs and leads and found a few things..

When i was looking at the engine at night i noticed sparks down at bottom of the leads near the plugs as i looked down the hole where the leads connect to the plugs..

the two sparking leads looked like this...

DSC_0012.jpg

and these are my plugs..

DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0001.jpg

i think they are in order of the engine, as you can see, one of the plugs is covered in oil on the actual plug where the HT lead connects.

All the plugs seem to have the same amount of black soot on them.

But im confused about the kind of rusty brown stuff on the tops of the plugs, i've had the car a long time and never changed them, could these just be old plugs?

what do my spark plugs tell me..

You will meet a tall, dark stranger.

The corrosion on the top of the plugs makes it look like they've not been touched in a hell of a long time! Surprised you've not touched the plugs if you've had the car for a while?! Should be part of every other service really given their price?

yeah suprisingly its been one of them jobs, i'll do it next time and just forgot about it.

I seem to have troubles with my car all the time inlcuding now (ie, when i plug my ISV in my car stalls, when it's unplugged, its idles alot better!) that i seem to spend money and time trying to sort them problems out. It does my head in!

Ill check my plugs after so long and see whats going on on the engine.

Yep, I'd always change plugs on a VR every year and just use cheapies - the Bosch's are £2 each

Always wondered why VW didn't use the 16V / 20V type connectors on the VR which would keep moisture out and instead opted for that stupid tool to be used...

Always wondered why VW didn't use the 16V / 20V type connectors on the VR which would keep moisture out and instead opted for that stupid tool to be used...

The tools are crap too. :(