Sign in to follow this  
Kaz

My Corrado G60 project

I stumbled across this at a garage last week, it looked so sorry for it's self I just had to give it a new home. It's a 1992 K reg Corrado G60 in Alpine white which the charger had blown on, the last owner swapped it for a 1.8T engine! Luckily enough, I already have a replacement charger left over from a previous project.

After digging around for a bit, turns out a mate knows the previous owner so I've been pieceing together it's history, I was impressed to find it's folder in the glove box complete with service history. I think it's been of the road for about 3 years, judging from when it was last taxed and MOT'd.

It's a bit of a mess, filthy dirty and it did have some very tacky side skirts which were screwed and bonded on, they're going to take some un-doing! Unfortunately the drivers door is a different colour to the rest of the car, but finding a 1992 car that's covered 115k that hasn't had paint is a pretty tough job!

Volksmania had already sold on the leather interior and wanted to keep the alloys, but neither of them are particually important to me at the moment, to be honest it's still a hell of a lot of car for the money!

I spent today cleaning the inside, exterior is a task for next weekend. Plan is to have it running around Christmas time, need to get the charger rebuilt and give everything a thorough check over, then it's MOT time!

Nice space savers!

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00026.jpg

Filthy interior

DSC00024.jpg

DSC00025.jpg

Replacement (temporary) seats

DSC00027.jpg

Cleaner

DSC00028.jpg

I spent a while cleaning up the metal work

DSC00030.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

DSC00033.jpg

My replacement boot strut!

DSC00032.jpg

Sorry for the quality of the pics, forgot the DSLR so I had to make do with my new C905.

Cheers for the replys!

I know it look like a bit of a shed at the moment, but it'll get there. I've got a major wash and degrease planned for this weekend, hoping to get it sat on a reasonable set of wheels too. Then I'll move onto the mechanicals to get it running.

Well chuffed with my C905!

Poor little Corrado :( It hadnt have a easy life.

Great that you will bring it back to life :)

It looks great by the way, I love white on Corrados!

im sure once its running and you have finished doing what you say it will look mint! the interior has cleaned up really well considering how filthy it was when you got it!

I managed to give the G60 a quick clean, buggering my ankle and offering to clean my dads car for him kinda scampered my initial full on clean plans.

But it's clean (kinda). I also sorted some cheap alloys - anyone know what they're from?

DSC00035.jpg

DSC00036.jpg

DSC00037.jpg

DSC00038.jpg

VW Estorils. came fitted to some Corrado's I think. Think they also came new on some MKII Golf GTI's and B3 Passat G60 Syncros.

Nick

i recognise that corrado!

i think you might recognise mine too!

i was looking at your photos, saw the first couple just of the corner of the unit and i was like - wait a second.............

then saw the next one with the caddy in and all became clear!

this has come on leaps and bounds from when i first saw it - you really have transformed it from what it looked like when i saw it then! - looking forward to seeing what it looks like when i next pop down there!

(you don't fancy giving mine a quick clean while you're there do you?! :lol:)

top effort - great to see another corrado being rescued from the scrap-yard in the sky :)

will be watching your thread with interest :D

i recognise that corrado!

i think you might recognise mine too!

i was looking at your photos, saw the first couple just of the corner of the unit and i was like - wait a second.............

then saw the next one with the caddy in and all became clear!

this has come on leaps and bounds from when i first saw it - you really have transformed it from what it looked like when i saw it then! - looking forward to seeing what it looks like when i next pop down there!

(you don't fancy giving mine a quick clean while you're there do you?! :lol:)

top effort - great to see another corrado being rescued from the scrap-yard in the sky :)

will be watching your thread with interest :D

Hi Pete

Of course I know your Corrado :grin:

If we get a chance we'll give it a clean certainly!

I had a bit of a set back last night, I don't think the charger is serviceable :sad: Which is a real pain! Thanks for all the comments, I should be able to update more at the weekend.

Not done a lot, primarily because it's been kicked out the workshop and it's damn cold out side!

I did remember the SLR at the weekend, so I got a few (icy) shots, it didn't actually defrost on Saturday where it was in the shade all day!

picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=128

picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=129

picture.php?albumid=18&pictureid=127

I guess the only update is the G60 lump is for sale - on eBay item no 280292539411. Think I'm going to 1.8T it!

haha - i knew that you would go 1.8T after speaking to mark - happy days! :D

i do hope it's not outside for the sake of my car - my apologies if that's the case....

i'm getting seriously excited about coming to get it now - want it sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!

(hopefully might see you later if you are there......:D)

No worries Pete, your Rado is far more worthy, it deserves being in doors over mine! (not for long now though, bet you're excited!)

A little update from me, my G60 engine has been sold and is being collected tomorrow, and I have an APX Seat 1.8T engine being delivered tomorrow.

I will post pics of the engine out/in process. :D