Sign in to follow this  
Critical_Mass

Suspension top mount nuts

Hi all,

I've bought a set of koni TAs off a member on here. I've fitted them today with no problems, until.... :lol:.... I came to refit the the top mount inside the boot and found out the nuts from my old suspension are too small to go onto the new suspension, but also the upper and lower metal washers also have too little diameter holes to fit onto the strut?

Surely I could buy bigger nuts, but where from and what about the metal washers?

Thought about that already about the washers, but wasnt sure if i could get new ones that were bigger. Where can i get the nuts from, are they just 'normal' nuts?

You don't need anything particularly special as they don't do anything other than stop the suspension falling apart on full droop.

I found this problem too when I was putting my new boge on, Critical Mass. The new replacement top mount nuts are 21mm. You can still get them from VW, they're just nyloc nuts really. you could probably just go to a hardware store and get some if yu don't have a dealer near you.

Yeah it put an abrupt halt to me finishing fitting the suspension :(

Cheers for the size boost. I wasnt sure how bit they were. Going to nip to the hardware store today to get some.

yeah, they seemed to have changed a few bits like that. the 17mm that used to go through the ridge on the lower ball joint is now a 16! but that's prob not helpful to you :lol:

cool mate, you should be able to find some. if worst comes to worst, take the strut with you and size up the nuts on the spot :salute:

aaah right, sorry! I have the rears in front of me and they are 17mm. Those came with my Sachs Advantage rear gas shocks so they should be the current size.

sorry for the mix up!

You could try as it's only 1mm I think but it's always difficult to grip something thats round your trying to drill - i've never had much luck anyhow!

I've got a vice in the garage so will secure it in that and see how i get on?

I know Koni will definately be able to provide the nuts, but what about the 3 washers in the top mount?

I've emailed a Koni Distributer... ill wait and see.

any pics of the washers? they might be an OEM-type part, and they're deffo all still available from VAG as I have 2 of everything in front of me.

Ill get some pics up. But the washers im referring to are the one above and below the rubber mount that are in the boot - you know the ones.

Any idea what the thread pattern is? Been to B&Q and they had the right size bolts but not the correct thread width. :(

i would think you want metric fines, but without taking my rear speaker shelves out i cant be sure. just google the correct size nut and put metric fine or MF after it, or even ebay.

The nuts are M10 thread, 1mm thread pitch. That's what VAGCAT says and I also just confirmed it (with a metal ruler and everything) on my VR6 spec sachs gas rear shocks.

Hope this helps,

Jon :salute: