Sign in to follow this  
JOHN.JARMAN2

VR6 wont start, she has let me down!

To any hero's out there,

My VR6 let me down after 4 years of being so reliable.

I got in the car, ignition on all good, turn the key nothing! no clicking nothing.

Checked all fuses all ok apart from in the bonnet to the right there is some "supply module?" with a 20Amp a 5amp and a huge fuse not marked. The huge fuse and the 5 Amp was blown. I have replaced them but nothing still happening.

Its not the immobiliser because to get home i jumped the starter motor straight to the batt, it started no probs so im guessing it wouldnt let me do this if it was the immobiliser.

Could someone tell me, what this module is? im thinking it needs replacing.

Anyone heard of this before? i have searched on here.

Any help would be gratefull.

The fan and aux water pump control unit won't prevent the car from starting, so I would suggest you start by fiddling around with the ignition switch.. They go "funny" over the years and it's not uncommon to find this type of problem.

Use the search, plenty of previous experiences of this..

Take the trim off from under the steering wheel and you should be able to see the wiring going into the back of the ignition switch. With the key turned and held as if you are starting the car, fiddle with the wiring at the same time and your car will probably start. Then again, nothing could happen :lol:

Thanks for that will do.

Does anyone know the rating of the fuse link on the fan and aux control unit, there are 3 fuses a 5, 20 and this link fuse?

Thanks again

The big fuse is either a 30 or 50 amp depending on weather you have air con or not... I'd unplug the aux water pump when you replace these and also check the wiring to the rad fan - you may have a short as you need some serious current to blow that large fuse!

I assume the battery is good?? have you checked the red / black lead to the starter soleniod is plugged in ok - you should get 12V down this when the ignition switch is turned to the crank position.

As above this is probably the ignition switch if it's never been changed? The new part is a bit more robust... (Polo 6N)