Sign in to follow this  
seaneire

Rear brakes seized again.

Fed up trying to unseize the rear brakes on my g60.I have put two second hand calipers on that were working ok and now one is seized after 3 months.I know i can fit mk3 calipers(which have the handbrake mech inside), but not 100% sure i have the correct part numbers.I also need to know where to get the brake hoses as they are different than standard.Will i need to change the handbrake cables also.Any help would be great lads,Im only a novice so if it seems a stupid question its not for me cause i dont know and dont want to get the wrong parts.These are the no.s I got for the calipers.

V.W 1H0615423

V.W 1H0615424

cheers if anyone can help me.

thanks for the reply,didnt find that post i was looking for mk3 upgrades.this is great all the part no.s to.so mk4 is the way to go,is it straightforward or do i have to watch out for anything.they just bolt on, do i need to get the parts in the first post after yours.

MK3 Carrier and standard caliper bolts

MK4 Clip for the handbrake cable

or will i just do with the calipers,i have new handbrake cables and the discs are only 6 months old so they should be ok.

thanks again for your help.

fitted mk4's about 4 years ago,never had a prob since.

when going from mk2 to mk4 you need a conversion set of hoses,I got mine from C+R afaik

some change the handbrake cable thats about it.

everything else stays the same.

i used the standard carriers that came with the car, the mk4 calipers bolt onto them, i don't think i even need new slider bolts in the end, think the original were reused.

also didn't renew the handbrake cable clips, i just bought the cables and they seem to of gone on fine.

mine is a VR tho, so not sure how different the g60 is, although saying that i'm sure all rear calipers were the same on all corrados

The MK4 ones aren't all that either. They do still partially sieze, just not as bad as the MK2 / MK3 ones.

You can tell it's still a problem if you look under modern VWs. They have big rubber dampers hanging off the calipers (Mk4 ones) to stop that droning noise you can get when you reverse off the drive and hit the brakes.

What I don't understand is why Ford Focuses don't have problems with rear calipers seizing when they use exactly the same ones!