Sign in to follow this  
MonkeyVR6

Quick Question: What the hell is a 'breather box'?

Hi Chaps,

Ok, might seem like a silly question, but I've been away on business and while I was away my mate was working on my Corrado VR6, however I got a text saying that I needed a new 'breather box' and that he's ordered one from Volkswagen and I can pick it up tomorrow...

What the hell is it?!

What does it do?!

Are they easy to fit?!

Is it a common fault?!

Cheers ez.

I'm pretty sure its something under the bonnet and I have a vague recollection of my mate mentioning something connected to my (aftermarket) air filter. Is that any help?

It's a plastic disk, about 2 inches across, that fits in the crankcase breather pipe between the rocker cover and inlet tubing. Basically it stops crankcase fumes from being ingested at idle I believe.

There is a thread on here somewhere with the part number for just the valve alone from VW. You can buy it separetly from VW for a Sharan VR6 but not the Corrado for some reason. The part number is right though, I got one and fitted it last week as mine came apart completely in my hand!

Can you run without this and just put a breather filter on the rocker cover and use a power rohr style aluminium intake pipe without any hassle? What do you do with all the loose ends if you ditch it and run a small breather filter? Ive seen a good few in mags using them?

You need to tie in the vacuum pipe going to the carbon canister at some point.

I also wouldn't just fit a filter there, as any oil build up will slowly drip onto the exhaust manifold, which won't smell nice.

If you really want, fit a catch tank somewhere else in the engine bay. Personally I wouldn't bother, I don't think you gain anything from the power rohr.