Sign in to follow this  
pete_griff

Gearbox removal on a VR...

Does anyone know if it's possible to get the gearbox off a VR with the engine still in-situ?

i did a clutch on my step-dad's 4-cyl transporter van and we were able to get the gearbox off and still leave the engine in by dropping the engine off it's mounts, angling it towards the front of the car slightly and lowering it on the gearbox side enough to allow the box to clear the subframe and slide off.

i was wondering if anyone knew if this was possible on a VR? i will probably have to get the gearbox back off before long and i really don't want to have to go through the nause of taking the whole chuffing engine back out unless i can help it!

(i would have a look and think about it myself, but i'm nowhere near the car unfortunately :()

thanks

Pete

:)

Pete ive done it. In a nutsell I basically jacked the car up and supported it on axel stands. Placed a jack under the engine, undid the gearbox and front engine mount so i could tilt the engine and gearbox down to clear the chassis leg. To gain sufficient clearance to get the gearbox off you have to rotate the gearbox as you are removing it. I then removed the gearbox from under the car. I know thats a basic how to so if you need any more details let me know.

As zak said can be done. If I remember correctly, bits to look out for are; one or two bell housing bolts go through the front engine mount (extra tricky with oil cooler on 12V engine). Also I would recommend removing the drive shaft coupling from the box on the drivers side, I recon this cost me a good hour the first time I did it. I learnt the hard way. It should drop out OK then.

I've done it, and I didn't get on too well. Personally I far prefer to take the engine and box out as a unit.

thanks very much for the replies gents - that's all i was after.

the place that rebuilt my gearbox for me has agreed to take it out etc - but i want to be there when they do it, and they've said they are fine with that.

they have ramps etc etc, so hopefully when it comes to it, it shouldn't be too bad a job.

thanks all for your replies :)

and i feel for all of you who had to do it scratting around on the floor like i've had to for the past couple of months!

If you look in the Knowledge Base under the articles on timing chain and clutch replacement, there is a step-by-step guide on gearbox removal, supported by dozens of photos and advice.

Best wishes

RB