Sign in to follow this  
NOM15

8x17, offsets?

I recently purchased a set of 8x17 wheels for my Corrado 16V but being BMW fitment (5x120) I'm about to order some custom, 4x100 to 5x120 adapters.

Anyway, with the wheels being et46 all around I'm thinking 20mm adapters up front and 25mm at the back which would make a final offset of et26 up front and et21 at the back. Should I be worried? Currently running 7.5x16 and 9x16 with somewhat low offsets and never had any problems. I'm not familiar with 17'' though.

Oh, the car is currently lowered on coils (somewhere in the 60/50mm range). Anyway, I know some of you are running RH's and BBS' in similar sizes. Any chance you could post some pics and wheel specs/offsets?

Thanks a bunch!

Simon

i have a set of adapters coming in the sizes you are thinking of ordering so i can fit some 7.5x17 fronts and 8.5x17 rears to my c (also bmw fitment but et 41 offset)

and my car usually runs 9x16 alround with some arch work so i can run it low, they should hopefully be here by the wkd and am going to trial fit them so ill stick some pics up for you

if i dont like the look of the wheels on the car though i may sell the adapters on and if your getting yours from concept you will know how expensive they are, i could save you some time and money like i say though i need to see the wheels on the car first so sorry if i get your hopes up for nothing!

neil.

Hi Simon,

I've got 8*17 ET35 RH's all round. I'm running 590mm at the rear (ground to centre/top arch) and I can just get my fingers between tyre and arch. Since your wheels are going to stick out 14mm further (will be ET21) I reckon it will be VERY close to rubbing (assuming similar ride height). I'd go 20mm rear spacers also, get as close to ET35 as you can ideally.

The fronts will be probably be ok (they will stick out a little) but as you cannot tuck the tire in the arch without removing part of the liner, just set the ride height to give yourself sufficient clearance.

If I get a chance I will post up some pics soon.

HTH, Jamin.

I had 8x17in ET30 and the rear was fine (perfect in fact) however the front wheels would rub on the arch lip and arch liner. Probably lowered around 50mm at the front.

Remember on a VR we have wider track but also slightly wider wings as well.

Thanks for the info guys! Guess I'll just have to wait til the wheels arrive and have a trial fit. I've never ran 17's so et35 on an 8'' sounds high to me (currently running 9x16 et15 haha). I'd like the wheels to sit as flush as possible in the arches, anyone know the actual difference between a late 16V and the VR wide track? My car is a 2liter which means it should have the wider wings, it's currently tucked away but I'll have to measure the ride height next time I visit the garage.

I also had a sniff around the German boards and people seem to be running 9x17 on what seem like standard arches :? Gaah, so confusing. All I know is I'd hate spending a fortune on adapters only to find they're the wrong width :lol:

Thanks again, pics would be greatly appreciated! :grin:

best thing to do is wait for the wheels to come and work out adapters from there.

Here's my 8.5x17 et35 on the back of my vr running 215/35/17 tyres

IMG_9491.jpg

sorry took so long to get these up the adapters didnt turn up when i expected, then when they did the 25mm ones for the rear had the wrong centre bore so i had to get them sorted out not amused as they cost a lot of money!

i am gonna keep the adapters as i like the look of the wheels so sorry if you were waiting to see if i would sell

the rears on mine with the 25mm adapters are spot on with the work ive had done to the arch i reckon i could have easily got away with 25mm instead of 20mm up front as well but im quite liking the slight tuck on the front and poke on the rear

neil.

sorry took so long to get these up the adapters didnt turn up when i expected, then when they did the 25mm ones for the rear had the wrong centre bore so i had to get them sorted out not amused as they cost a lot of money!

i am gonna keep the adapters as i like the look of the wheels so sorry if you were waiting to see if i would sell

the rears on mine with the 25mm adapters are spot on with the work ive had done to the arch i reckon i could have easily got away with 25mm instead of 20mm up front as well but im quite liking the slight tuck on the front and poke on the rear

neil.

Heh no problem mate. Car looks great btw! ;)

Think I'm going for 20mm and 25mm too, a bit worried about 8x17 fronts with a final offset of 26mm, but we'll see :)

Did you opt for a custom wheel side center bore?

Simon

cheers for the nice comments

and simon the adapters were meant to be vw fitment centre bore 57.1mm which two of them were but the 25mm ones came with a 56.5mm centre bore so wouldnt fit they took ages to arrive and came from belgium so i couldnt be arsed trying to send them back luckily my mate has access to a lathe so he sorted them :D

id just make sure you make it clear when ordering the adapters that you want the centre bore to be 57.1mm

neil

Looking at some 8x17's myself.

Prob is wheels are ET15. Realise this is not ideal but really like the wheels.

Is it going to be managable or will there be to much poke?

Looking at some 8x17's myself.

Prob is wheels are ET15. Realise this is not ideal but really like the wheels.

Is it going to be managable or will there be to much poke?

Hi ashley, you will need arch work to run anywhere near low, but 8x17 on a et15 will look very good! you got a corrado now then??

Yep 20vt mk2 sold, replaced with a blackberry vr6 rado. Was going to keep standard and spend time/money on my series 1 but too tempted for a slam and rims