Sign in to follow this  
Blondie1

Fan after driving

Erm, you know when the fan comes on after driving the car...well, Ive been in work half hour now and the fan is still going...should it be on that long??

Also been having battery problems...is the fan been on this long draining it?

Hmmm - in mid summer year but not in this weather....

You might want to try turning the ignition on and off again... keep an eye on it and maybe disconnect the battery if it's still running.

Erm, you know when the fan comes on after driving the car...well, Ive been in work half hour now and the fan is still going...should it be on that long??

Also been having battery problems...is the fan been on this long draining it?

what car and engine you driving?

2ltr 16v

Well after an hour of the fan going, got the battery disconnected and reconnected, fan stopped thankfully lol. Im guessing I need a new switch?

Typical I buy a new battery and its not that thats the problem lol

Might well be the temp switch in the radiator, or you should have a sensor bolted to the rocker cover on the front left corner (from the front) with a single wire going to it. Check that the wire is in good condition, and the sensor looks reasonable.

Oh, and don't leave the battery completely uncharged in this cold, they can be damaged.

I guess being a 2L 16v it has the fan relay control pack nr the washer fluid tank, perhaps a relay got stuck? If the fan overrun switch on the front left of the head (think the 2L has one of these as mr Toad says) shorted out the fan would run, but not if the wire broke off it as they usually do.

If it does it again I'd suggest pulling the single connector off that small sensor(the wire is always live regardless of ignition) and if it still runs then you've discounted that, do the same with the 3 pin switch at the bottom of the radiator.

If you do have the relay pack, you can take it apart and try to fix anything, but I would advise this as a last resort...

My mate diconnected the fan last night, gona fix it properly for me when he has time :)

Had a blonde moment again, been drivin round in the dark without dash lights cus I thought the fuse had gone...didnt realise you can turn em on and off yourself until this mornin lol d'oh

Oh and my ABS light keeps randomly coming on

have a look through the wiki, you should be able to find answers for the abs there. theres also helpfull tips on the abs in the buyers guide..

Regarding the ABS it could be the sensors on the front or rear but would replace the fronts first as they are cheap as chips on ebay and sorted it straight away

Think i managed to get a pair for less than £30 :D

cool :)

Car has gone in for a full service, told the bloke all the problems i was having so hopefully will have it back monday afternoon and everything will be sorted :clap:

I was going to say dont buy a new battery just disconnect the wire going to the fan sensor as then it wont be on, save undoing the battery etc etc....

If youve got it sorted the i supose its better than leaving it off.

Did you end up needing new radiator/ leads / sensor?

Id leave the porridge oats alone......