Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

MOT Advisory: Brake Efficiency

Hi People,

Just taken my 1.8 valver in for an MOT and it failed - but luckily only for a rusty headlight reflector.

However I also had an advisory for the brakes - in particular the efficiency (56%) and the start of rear brake line corosion. Anyone else had similar and what's the best method to resolve before the next MOT ?

Front or rear, foot or handbrake?

It's the rear brake lines but the brake efficiency didn't specify - it just had a note at the top to say that brake efficiency was 56% which was pretty much as low as it could go and get a pass.

I know it wasn't handbrake as that's mentioned seperately - 16% efficient ! Again, as low as it could go and still pass.

I suspect a fluid change and a good bleed of the system will see you right. Might as well get the pipe replaced at the same time.

Nick

Hi People,

Just taken my 1.8 valver in for an MOT and it failed - but luckily only for a rusty headlight reflector.

However I also had an advisory for the brakes - in particular the efficiency (56%) and the start of rear brake line corosion. Anyone else had similar and what's the best method to resolve before the next MOT ?

HA HA HA :clap: 56% is good.......mine had 7 % LOL :salute: ....and my brake lines were fine though. One of my calipers are seized. Ive only just swapped to MK3 golf calipers and changed the front brake hoses as they had sight wear... and ball joints too.

aint got around to putting it though mot again yet...

Just for clarification here are the actual words from my VT32.

Measurements

Brake Advisories: RBT Service Brake Efficiency: 52%. RBT Park Brake Efficiency: 16%

Advisory Items

004 Nearside inner rear Brake hose slightly deteriorated

005 Offside inner rear Brake hose slightly deteriorated

006 Offside (Front to rear) Brake pipe slightly deteriorated

007 Service brake. Your vehicle has only just met the required service brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system needs repair or adjustment

008 Parking brake. Your vehicle has only just met the required parking brake efficiency. It would appear that the braking system needs repair or adjustment

009 Rear number plate starting to deteriorate

I've already sorted the number plate and I'll probably speak to GCS about sorting the brakes.