Sign in to follow this  
kuksool

2.0 16v standard performance figures!

Weight distribution:

The Corrado has a heavier back end...better on the road, I think.

On the track however, the technique of trail braking in order to unsettle the rear in order to get it to 'rotate' and counter understeer present on both cars, is easier to master if the rear carries less weight.

Ever driven a 205 GTI?

For this, I find the Golf easier to get to tail slide...so the weight distribution advantage the Corrado has on certain roads / circumstances CAN dissappear and the balance tip to the Mk3 Golf - depending upon driving style.

...unless your idea of a properly set up suspension is like mine... Corner weighted coilovers set mildly lower with stiffer shocks and springs...

A corner weighted, mildly lowered (30 to 40mm) Corrado will always out handle a MKIII Golf (even with the same good suspension upgrades) due to the lower center of gravity and better chassis characteristics that it was always praised for when it was released, and that make it still be considered to be one of the best handling front wheel drive cars of all time... 8)

Once you put coilovers on, and set them up properly, then it all comes down to the actual chassis characteristics at which point weight distribution becomes irrelevant 'cos you can choose exactly where you want the weight to be on the footprint... 8)

Ker-plunk... My 2p worth... 8)

Does the meaning ive opened up a can of worms!!! have any meaning on here :lol:

heh-heh...

Not a can of worms..more an opportunity for meaningful dialogue!

I stand corrected on the ABS issue...I thought it was only VR6's that has ABS.

So, back to handling...

Even with corner wieghted set-ups...the Golf GTI 16v has the advantage of more castor than a non VR6 Corrado...unless someone's going to tell me the 8vs, 16vs and G60s had the 'plus' front suspension!

More castor = better self centering and more negative camber on turn in...therefore the basic chassis geometry of the Mk3 Golf gives it an advantage if the rest of the set up is optimised to suit.

Furthermore...

Every generation of VW chassis desing gets stiffer...the A4 chassis (Mk4 Golf and it's derivatives) was significantly stiffer than the A3 chassis (mk3 etc), which was in turn a hell of a lot stiffer than the A2 chassis upon which the corrado was based.

From there it's simple physics that says it is easier to get the suspension to work effectively if it's mounted on a solid platform (the chassis).

Surely then, a Mk3 GTI 16v vs a Corrado 16v using simialar suspension components and settings but leaving the basics alone (hubs, track, subframes etc) gives the advantage to the Mk3?

That's what I find in practice.

Which brings us back to what Henny said...when properly set up weight distribution is taken care of if you are going that far.

..but track, non-adjustable suspension geometry (castor) and chassis stiffness are unaffected...advantage Mk3.

At the end of the day...a quick car is a car in which the driver feels comfortable enough and confident enough to extract it's best performance...some cars feel better to different drivers.

And besides...I'm not going to get much by the way of aggreement in the Corrado forum, now am I? :D

Never mind all this talk about golf verses corrado :? The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say, I have owned a VR6 Golf with modded suspension and i now own a 1.816v corrado with mildly modded suspension and can honestly tell you the Golf wouldn`t come near the corrado on any road and especially on a track, I can point the corrado at any Roundabout and come out the other end beaming like a cheshire cat as all us corrado owners know 8) END OF STORY :lol:

Never mind all this talk about golf verses corrado :? The proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say, I have owned a VR6 Golf with modded suspension and i now own a 1.816v corrado with mildly modded suspension and can honestly tell you the Golf wouldn`t come near the corrado on any road and especially on a track, I can point the corrado at any Roundabout and come out the other end beaming like a cheshire cat as all us corrado owners know 8) END OF STORY :lol:

But we're not talking about that nose heavy slug of a VR6 Golf...one of the worst handling cars I've ever had the missfortune to drive...now are we? We're comparing the 16v to the Corrado.

...and I own a Corrado too, as well as the GTI, so I can speak impartially.

I wouldn`t say the VR6 is one of the worst handling cars ever :? And Slug :? As i said The "Golf" wouldn`t come near the corrado IMHO :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure we've all got stories to illustrate that point:

There isn't a Corrado in my area that'll stick with my Golf in the twisties...VR6 Corrado, G60, 16v or otherwise...

I'm sure a certain moderator will confirm that... :lol:

:oops: :oops: guilty as charged :wink: .........though come on glen.......i 'm getting more mpg from the VR than you do from yer 16v when our cars meet :p :lol: :lol:

of course notice you don't mention a certain 16v Polo that always leaves ya standing :p :lol: :lol:

of course notice you don't mention a certain 16v Polo that always leaves ya standing

:oops: :wink:

of course notice you don't mention a certain 16v Polo that always leaves ya standing :p :lol: :lol:

Keep taking the pills mate!

What's the weathewr like in your bubble today anyway?

Never been left standing by any 16v Polo Roddy...and well you know it.

Keep taking the pills mate!

What's the weathewr like in your bubble today anyway?

Never been left standing by any 16v Polo Roddy...and well you know it.

its nice in my "bubble" :lol:

but isn't that Polo 16v the fastest thing on 4 wheels up this way :? :wink:

Of course he lives in a bubble EssThree, he thinks that a corrado VR6 is the best car EVER. His bubble is now on cloud 9 after watching a certain motoring program a couple of weeks ago :D :D I am running now before I get linched :lol: :lol:

Only joking Rodders before you get your soapbox out.

A certain silver polo does not too bad considering what it is!! Feel free to correct me EssThree, but when we were on the duel carriageway in to town I believe i was keeping pace with you till about 70mph at which point I was starting to hold you up, you fancy seeing how it compares to yours Rodders?? I know what you are supposed to do with your right foot!! :lol: :lol:

Got pipped by a legendary Corrado the other night, a 16v one, which I believe was the starting point, kind of, of this thread, that was a 1.8 tho. Was side by side till top end in fourth at which point the Corrado pulled away so have lost the title of fastest thing on 4 wheels Roddy! :cry:

Great thread tho, much amusement reading it, nothing like a bit of banter! :D

Of course he lives in a bubble EssThree, he thinks that a corrado VR6 is the best car EVER. His bubble is now on cloud 9 after watching a certain motoring program a couple of weeks ago :D :D I am running now before I get linched :lol: :lol:

Only joking Rodders before you get your soapbox out.

A certain silver polo does not too bad considering what it is!! Feel free to correct me EssThree, but when we were on the duel carriageway in to town I believe i was keeping pace with you till about 70mph at which point I was starting to hold you up, you fancy seeing how it compares to yours Rodders?? I know what you are supposed to do with your right foot!! :lol: :lol:

Got pipped by a legendary Corrado the other night, a 16v one, which I believe was the starting point, kind of, of this thread, that was a 1.8 tho. Was side by side till top end in fourth at which point the Corrado pulled away so have lost the title of fastest thing on 4 wheels Roddy! :cry:

Great thread tho, much amusement reading it, nothing like a bit of banter! :D

moi?????........try reading my previous posts marty :p .......i think you'll find to me the ur-quattro 8) is the best car ever.......when you get one you'll understand :wink: ..............must have been some test-drive of your polo that made you decide to get it over a Corrado VR6...........or was it charlie's sensible head that helped you choose :p ...........anyways i'll leave the soapbox alone......as you say its all fun and banter :lol: :lol:

but as for "comparing".......i'll leave it til a lot lot better weather........don't want to end up like the last C :oops: that you were pacing on the way down to star last month :( :shock: .........also it may have escaped your attention.........but the feds are out in force lately :evil:.......and of course don't want the VR to knacker me MPG :p :lol: :lol:

My friends dad had a mint 10V quattro but sold it before I could ask to be taken for a spin :cry:

To be honest Roddy I wouldn't have the cash to run a VR6, am sure my driving style would EAT fuel and being an older car without a warranty would be more costly to fix.... Actually bought the car when Charlie was off-shore :lol:

Was noticing a rediculous amount of police out, was down the, cough...beach....cough the other night and was having a bit of banter with another VR6 engine'd VW you are familiar with, but luckily managed to escpape getting collared. Martin performed a "drive by" in his VR with his induction kit back on, sounded BRUTAL!

Had a go off the lights with him and the window down, can't hear properly now in my right ear after he booted it :lol: Was worth it. :lol:

My friends dad had a mint 10V quattro but sold it before I could ask to be taken for a spin :cry:

Was noticing a rediculous amount of police out, was down the, cough...beach....cough the other night and was having a bit of banter with another VR6 engine'd VW you are familiar with, but luckily managed to escpape getting collared. Martin performed a "drive by" in his VR with his induction kit back on, sounded BRUTAL!

Had a go off the lights with him and the window down, can't hear properly now in my right ear after he booted it :lol: Was worth it. :lol:

Bummer!!! :cry: .......

sorry martin you got a cold???? :p :lol: :lol:

hehehehehe.....was told about yer wee bit of fun with your namesake yesterday :p .........i think F****** wheelspinning B****** were the words he used :p .......though haven't heard it with the induction kit on yet......but had a wee spin in it the day he picked it up........amazing sound its got.....very creamy too 8)

don't want to end up like the last C that you were pacing on the way down to star last month

Jeesus Marty, what did you do to that poor blue 16v????

Roddy,

Sounds nice, yeh it was a good laugh, after windin martin up, headed out the dueller with Ringostar's 16v and had a good battle, much fun. On the way out whipped some boy in a Mk3 gti who was trying to keep me behind him, the three of us...anon Mk3, Ringo and myself came across another Corrado who saw us coming a booted it as well, was amusing, a mini dub wars! :lol:

Had a good go against Martin off the lights to wind him up, but was a bit ambitous at the speed I launched it in to second and it decided it didn't want to play the game so made a nice noise, ccccccrrrrunch. Was a good laugh tho.

Wasn't wheelspinning too much, think Martin was struggling a wee bit to get traction tho in 2nd as well. :lol:

Brian,

don't want to end up like the last C that you were pacing on the way down to star last month

Jeesus Marty, what did you do to that poor blue 16v????

Might have been guilty of keeping his rear bumper a bit warm, all in good fun tho.

Didn't get near enough to yours to wind you up :D

Heard that an Evo had an unfortunate incident on the same roundabout as yours going to Star the other day, must be cursed!! Think i'll be going the long way round if I need to go again, jus incase! :?

might be an idea for you two to start a separate thread about this........is getting quite a bit off-tangent as regards to the thread title :wink:

might be an idea for you two

well, since my one and only post, quoted you roddy, dont think im the one tkaing it off tangent do you?

I don't think it was aimed at you specifically Dubster, it's just that the two of you have been dragging THIS thread off topic tonight and it looked like you were about to start in this one with the same too! :?