Sign in to follow this  
bruny

Vr6 Clutchplate

Does anybody happen to know the thickness of a Vr6 clutch? Have stripped mine and there seems to be plenty of meat left on it!!017.JPG[/attachment:1a4u4h4h]

Have stripped the engine to sort camchain tensioner etc, assumed clutch would need doing as well! Going to go right through the whole motor while its down so will probably put a new clutch in anyway. I know the slave cylinder is dodgy as the pedal sticks on occasion.

clutch plate does look ok bud, but at as james says; being as you are doing it all anyway, for the price of a new clutch, you may as well do it while you are there.

also with your clutch pedal - it might not be the slave, it may be the master - i know people often have pedal issues when it's the master. it's expensive, but if you're sorting it, then you may be as well to replace the slave, master and flexi hose all at the same time.

i replaced my slave not long ago and i'm getting issues now (since my engine change), almost certainly due to the master.

i've just fitted a helix clutch and i'm running silicone fluid at the moment (which is a tiny bit squishy), so that's probably not helping matters either. i'm replacing both the master and the flexi hose (which bizzarely goes porus with age!) just for peace of mind.

if you don't mind splashing the cash, you may be as well to do the same.

hope it all goes well for you anyway buddy :) when do you recon you'll have it all sorted?

nothing in the history of my car said the clutch had been done in its 140k miles and when we did the chains & tensioners i had the same thought as you as there seemed to be almost no difference to the 3k clutch that we were putting in. with mine it was the release bearing that really improved things, and the chain guides definitely needed doing too so dont worry too much that you have taken it apart for no reason! :)

Thanks for the comments guys. Its always a relief when you find things aren't as bad as expected. :clap:

I'd figured the clutch must have been ready if the tensioner needed doing as you would normally do both at the same time, it obviously hasn't had the chains done but with 105K on the clock must have had a clutch at sometime.

As for slave/ master cylinder situation- I know there is a problem somewhere but dont want to replace things [bearing in mind the cost] for no reason. However its certainly easier to work on these bits with no motor in the way :) Is it possible to recondition these items or is it a case of replacement?

Timescale is'nt set for completion but I expect end of February so as not to rush things. Cosmetics are important as well cos I am going to try another concours competition after my failed first attempt at Stanford Hall last summer :(

Pete, Ive been following your progress with the R32 conversion, very frustrating but I'm sure it will be worth the wait :salute:

What's all this about a 'failed first attempt'? :cuckoo:

Your car very definitely deserved to be entered and I'm sure in some areas you got top marks. But this is just going over all the stuff Kip has already said to you. I will be very worried about you entering Stanford again, especialy knowing all the work you are doing and mine is sat in the garage being ignored.

Anyway, back on topic. I'm no expert but why at 105K miles would you think the clutch must have been done in the past? My previous Storm had done 125k when I sold it and the orignal clutch was going strong. Though most of those were motorway miles.

Thanks for the words of encouragement Jude, I guess I was up against some tuff competition. Will try again anyway all being well.

I understand my Vr has had some abuse from what C & R in Nottingham said, I wouldn't expect a clutch to last that long and still have so much meat left on it :shrug:

I may be wrong though because everything I've looked at so far has been in really good condition other than the top tensioner on the cam chain. A rebuild will remove the element of doubt and should ensure a trouble free future :clap: