Sign in to follow this  
Voodooschic

Hi to all, got some questions.

So in a few days I will be buying my dream car, 1991 Corrado G60. Took it into the shop to have a pro see if was worth the asking price and he says it is, but I know it is having some shifting problems and I am really hoping it does not need a new tranny. It started with just having trouble getting into reverse, and now getting into any gear. Frustrating My husband is a wiz at figuring out exactly what is wrong with his Toyota S-Runner, but really has never worked on VW's and I thought I would get on here and see if anyone knows whats going on and if a new tranny is going to be needed, where I can find one at a resonable price. Please help. -T

Hi,

Well the obvious couple of things to look at are first of all the clutch - is it correctly disengaging? The pedal operates it through a hydraulic linkage so if there's air in the lines it'll not work right.. It's easy to bleed the clutch cylinder to rule that out.

Second is the gear selector alignment and cables .. these are tricky to adjust (you're supposed to use a "special tool" from VW), but maybe that's all it requires.

Assuming by "Tranny" you do mean a manual (Stick-shift) box and not an Auto as well? :shrug:

(I'm assuming you're either on or from the "other side of the pond"?)

came across one a few weeks back that had actually sheared part of the gearlever mechanism, it was really wierd to drive, sometimes it would just go into gear other times they just weren't there. I initially thought the gear selector forks in the box were bent, but it would shift from the top of the box and was OK when the car was stationary, never seen one go like that before, it must have had some abuse.