Sign in to follow this  
radness

Air Filter 9a

I have tried searching but with no real answer to my question. I must be dong something wrong as i'm sure this has been asked before.

Is the air filter in the 9a easy to replace or do you need to remove the meter head? why on earth would VW put the metering head there? lol

Is it also worthwhile removing the snorkle from the airbox?

I won't ask the "whats the best air filter" question, i did find the answer for that while searching ;)

Not sure on the 'official way' to do this but I just unscrew the large jubilee clip around the large rubber boot on top of the metering head and remove that completely, and then unclip the clips holding the airbox lid on to the base. You should be able to lift it enough to pop out the old filter and pop in the new one.. just be careful not to dislodge any pipework on the back or electrical connectors / injector lines. It's certainly not an excellent design!

Got a K&N panel filter in mine - seems to do the job :)

the clips can be a fiddle but the filter should just fit with the metering head lifted up a few cms, you need thre hands but shouldn't need to undo anything else,

new cars aren't any better, my golf has about 12 philips screws that have to be undone to split the engine cover in half it makes what should be a 5 minute job take half an hour, just ridiculous.

Sigh...

Typical helpful parts guy at VW gave me the wrong air filter, does nayone know the correct part number for the replacement filter?

Also, I notice in the air box there is like a little flap that opens and closes between the rear outlet and the snorkle going to the front of the air box, what does this do? I ssume the engine gets the air from the top of the air box, so what does the pipe at the rear of the airbox do? (wish i had a picture to explain waht i mean better)

I thought about putting in some form of CAI or removing the snorkle from the airbox as it seems to have a restricted air flow in standard form.

Thoughts? :)

The filter should be the same part as a late mk2 16v golf post 1990, earlier 16v filters are too small

the rear air feed to the airbox is warm air from around the exhasut manifold, it helps the engine on cold days on warm up.

removing the snorkel will make the engine louder (induction noise) and on a standard car will not really make any difference except allow cold air in when it should only be drawing warm air from the back feed as the flap shuts off the cold air as well as opening up the warm air feed.

I have noticed at very high revs with a KR (1.8 16v) inlet cam on a 2L engine, removing the snorkel does help the top end power a little, but you're only talking from 6000-7000rpm.

The filter should be the same part as a late mk2 16v golf post 1990, earlier 16v filters are too small

the rear air feed to the airbox is warm air from around the exhasut manifold, it helps the engine on cold days on warm up.

removing the snorkel will make the engine louder (induction noise) and on a standard car will not really make any difference except allow cold air in when it should only be drawing warm air from the back feed as the flap shuts off the cold air as well as opening up the warm air feed.

I have noticed at very high revs with a KR (1.8 16v) inlet cam on a 2L engine, removing the snorkel does help the top end power a little, but you're only talking from 6000-7000rpm.

Hmm might give that a try, what controls the movement of that flap? I wonder if it is still operating as it should, i guess if it stuck in the warm air position it would affect your performance like i'm experiencing after a cold start were i notice performance drops off as it heats up (i.e. more hot air from the exhaust)

Whats the best way to remove the snorkle? does it just pop off or does it require cutting?

Oh, and the filter they gave me had "HD" on it, and for some reason was too deep so my airbox wouldn't close with it in. :(

thanks for the advice so far guys :)