Sign in to follow this  
daves16v

Current leakage

Hi all,

I've established a current leakage which leaves the battery almost dead overnight. Started about 2 or 3 months back.

I haven't used the car for some time but have been starting it up regularly to keep things ticking along. I've been doing this for a few months but recently the leakage has occured. The battery is a new Halfords calcium battery. The only electrical change recently was the removal of stereo and front speakers but I think the car was ok after this but I can't be 100% sure. Previous to that I had a Toad AI606 fitted (over a year ago) which has been ok.

I can recharge the battery overnight and all is well when I reconnect and start.

I know electrical problems can be a minefield but is there any easy way of finding the bug without disconnecting stuff 1 by 1 and retesting?

Car is 1993 2L16v.

Thanks for any help.

1. Get a multimeter,

2. measure the current drain exactly.

3. Take out a fuse starting at one end of the fusebox.

4. Measure the drop in current drain, if there is one.

5. Take out the next fuse etc....

Hopefully it won't be the alarm, that's a pain!

Right I think I've got to the problem.

Yesterday the battery was fully charged and the car ran perfect. I disconnected the battery overnight and reconnected tonight to find the battery couldn't turn the engine. Perhaps no current leakage then.

Took the battery back to Halfords tonight for a check up to be told yep it's a duffer and the it was also pointed out that the sides of the battery were bulging indicating that the alternator was over charging causing the battery fault. Does this sound right?

So I now have a bad battery and a potential charging problem. Does this mean a new alternator is on the cards too?

Thanks

just check the voltage with the engine running, if it's over 13.5 to 14V then the voltage regulator is shot, should be less than 20 quid for a replacement for the bosch alt.

If it's under that voltage then a diode or two may have died, which means a new alternator.

just check the voltage with the engine running, if it's over 13.5 to 14V then the voltage regulator is shot, should be less than 20 quid for a replacement for the bosch alt.

If it's under that voltage then a diode or two may have died, which means a new alternator.

Thank you David.