Sign in to follow this  
joinerboy

front subframe removal

im in the process of removing the front subframe on my VR6 and need help. its turning out more complicated than i expected :(

i have removed bolts on both sides(the engine is supported by a brace atm) i still need to remove engine mounts but not sure how to do this. how do i disconnect the engine from the subframe?

also if i want to completely remove the subframe what else do i need to undo? it looks like the steering is attached :confused4:

i have searched the forum but cant seem to find anything on this. i dont think theres anything in the knowledge base and i cant find anything in my manuals

help please :?

if you go underneath your car and look at the subframe you will see four 13mm headed bolts,they hold down the rack...easy,and then remove the engine mount and gearbox mount by removing the top 17mm hex headed bolt from the top.

Then disconect the lower ball joints and your done.

Edit...the subframe is bolted to the floor with 6 bolts four large ones,four at the rear and two higer up at the front(all when looking up from under the car) you can gain access to the front ones via the hole in the wishbones.

cheers james. you make it sound easy

i know the 4 13mm bolts your talking about.once i undo them will the steering rack just stay where it is or will it need to be supported?

are the engine mounts easy to get to?

the rack will hang there once undone as its still attached via the steering column and hubs.

Look from the top down over at the mounts mate,you will seewhat i mean about removing the bolts,not to bad of a job.

Just a thought, you are supporting the engine from above before you go any further aren't you? I don't know how different the VR6, but I have done this with a 4 cylinder rado and didn't have too much bother so long as the rear of the engine was supported before removing the engine mount bolts. Re the steering rack, you can of course release the rack at the UJ pinch bolt and drop the entire assembly including hubs etc, though you'll have to take the brake calipers off and hang these out of the way.

Hope this helps

thanks or the concern Go-Rado but yep i am supporting the engine. calipers were already off so that wasnt a problem

thanks for the advice james i got the subframe off no probs

im just waiting for some warmer weather so i can spray it