Sign in to follow this  
German_G60

G60 ECU trouble I think??

Hi all,

Having trouble with my G60 it broke down the other day just stoped at a junction well on the middle of a round about :( .

when Itryed to re start it fired momentarly then nothing all the time your cranking it trys to fire in pulses I think with every revolution of the engine.

At the work shop we started with the fuel pump relay thats was fine. we then moved onto checking the fuel pump was acually working and running as and when it should it is.

we then checked all the ignition system thats all ok. Then we checked the fuel pressure and regulator that seems to be ok, in fact we connected another high pressure pump and fed the system to double check.

We then tipped some fuel straigt into the induction hose whilst cranking and it fire straight up and ran for a few seconds on the fuel we tipped in. At this point we are 100% sure ita a fuel problem but made no sense why on cranking it would momentarly fire.

We then took out the fuel rail and injectors to check they wernt blocked and pulsed each injector to see if they where working they where. We then cranked the engine with the injectors out and they sprayed. At this stage it seems when you are cranking the engine the injectors pulse for initial starting but are not recieving a signal to kick in for running? We also tryed towing the car to start it what i noticed was with car in gear and ignition on nothing happens but as you switch the ignition on it fires for a split second then nothing and each time you switch it on the engine fire for a split second adding to the theory the injectors pulse for initial starting and arent getting a signal to carry on. Which has cheerfully lead us to thinking the ECU is at fault!! But with no way of testing it and not having a spare who nos??

Has any one else come aross this faul??

Or can some one sell me an ECU (cheap its the credit crunch!!)

Any help advise would be appreciated Thanks Darren :help:

Have you tried changing your blue temp sender? Sounds like the same thing my G60 was doing last year (minus the cutting out mid-driving!). The little £12+VAT part from VW caused my engine to turn over but not fire up and the injectors stayed open and flooded the engine!! Give it a go! If it doesn't work, it's always handy to have a spare :)

Allrite Darren,

Glad to see that the G-charger is going strong!,i never sell duff rubbish,it ain't worth it and it's against my rules :D .

Right,i'd first change the Digifant relay as suggested above.Next would be the hall sensor inside the dist.,if you get a replacement it doesn't have to be off a G60 mill,they are all the same parts.,coil connections ok?,they do work loose causing a simileur problem.

Also dont overlook the ignition switch,after 15+years they sometimes go.

I don't think i've ever come across a faulty G60 ecu,only once i blew 1 by using low resistence injectors...

Try these things first then report back mate.

Cheers,Andrew.

Bloody corrados ah?,

Ok,Are the ecu connectors ok?,sometimes the small 'feet' inside the ecu's connector can bugger around and they are nightmares to solve,check that they look ok and none are splayed out.

Wiring ok?,15+ years of cold/hot can make the haness brittle and crack,favorite culprit being the injector harness that shorts out.

Check the dist. connection while your in there,same thing as the ecu connector.bad/false contacts.

Fuel filter ok?,are you checking the fuel press. using a mechanical gauge?.

I could send you over a spare ecu but it's the bloody postage that stings!.

Strange misleading thing is when you mentioned that the car just cut out going around a round about,if it was fuel i would have thought that the car would at least cough and fart around first before suddenly cutting out.

Check the earth leads attatched to the cyl. head aswell.

Let me know. :D

You can say that again :nuts:

I havent payed much attention to the ecu connectors i will have a look.

Injector harness was brittle and cracked so I sorted that along with a few other wires.

Fuel filter is cool and yes I checked the pressure with a mechical gauge.

Kind of mis lead you with the cutting out it was as I pulled up to the round about I think it probley was geting a bit hesitent looking back. It was in the morning and the car wasent warm so was taking it easy.

The earth leads ok to.

Cheers Darren