Sign in to follow this  
cvw74

BIGGER BRAKES limits?

I'm wanting to upgrade the front brakes on my VR, but wanna run 16"s (i think!!)

what brakes should I be using? I am possibly having wheels made so et can be decided so as to host bigger brakes

if that makes much of a difference, I'm guessing it will.

I have read a few links but doesn't answer completly, would be great if I could get correct et so as not use spacers

thanks

im getting some AP racing pot calipers with 308mm discs

the wheels are 16x7 they would clear the calipers but it would be tight at the bottom(3mm)

the wheel offset was changed slightly to compensate. wheel offset is et30

1) Correct offset for a VR6 is ET35 but you can go to ET43.

2) If you are using 16" wheels then 305's should be ok but (depending on wheel design) 312's are likely to be a step too far.

3) With aftermarket brakes a lot depends on how broad the caliper is when fitted. Brembo and StopTec calipers are quite a bit wider than Wilwood or Tarox kits for example, and regardless of the offset you use the wheel design will be a factor in what you can fit (you can probably forget deep dish designs with almost any of them for example)

4) If you are "having your wheels made" (which I take to mean being machined to your supplied dimensions) you might want to select the brake kit you want to fit first and measure the clearances you'll be needing before ordering the actual wheels. Some wheels companies (like most Compomotives) are basically motorsport designs anyway and so you're far less likely to have a fouling problem with something like that, although nothing is guaranteed with this kinda stuff.

Good advice, particularly 4 /\

For arguments sake, say you have an AP Racing CP5200 4 pot kit with 330mm discs, you can print off a template from AP's website to spin round inside a wheel.

And companies like Team Dynamics can send you a template of the inside of a wheel design, so you can check the clearance before even going anywhere near a caliper and wheel!

Compomotive do the same, but they request the template from you and they check clearance on their cad software and report back.

As for brake size limits, you can get a 304mm Brembo 4 pot arrangement behind 15" Comp MOs no problem, ET25.

You can also get a 330mm AP racing 4 pot (CP5200) kit behind 16" Comp MO 1672s with a 25mm offset.

Personally I would go 17" and increase you brake and wheel options. I've tried them all, and a wheel like the 7x17 Team Dynamics Pro Race1 with tyre actually weighs less than the original 15" speedline + tyre! 15 & 16" tyres are heavier than 17" ones, unless you go for Avon hand cut fibreglass track tyres.

The ride quality with a good 17" wheel and tyre combo is better (imo) than 16s and 15s. Less side wall flex, more responsive steering, more predictable.

Just my 2p

thanks for the advice, There some poker Brembo 4 pots for sale at the mo running312 disc, would these fit with a 16" rim.

They have come off a Seat Leon, is it same fitment as the corrado?