Sign in to follow this  
Caoimhin

Newbie with a G60 needs help! :(

Hello guys,

Recently driving my G60 the bottom pulley apparently fell off taking out valves, and to cut a long story short i have had all that fixed. (£1600).

However, now i have a squealing noise coming from the bottom of the engine. It sounds as if its coming from the large crank pulley on the engine that drives the alternator etc. The squealing sounds like a loud rattling sort of noise and the pulley itself can be seen wobberling slightly left and right. The garage that did the work said that the rod had sustained some damage and that there was play but it shouldn't be a problem. However it wasn't rattling like this then. I'm now worried the large pulley is going to disintegrate taking out all the work thats just been done. What should i do guys??

Pete

Oh dear...

Imo they should have at least refaced the end of the crank and it sounds like they didn't! or ideally replaced it! The woodruff key (not really, more of a cut out and matching slot) is machined into the crank so its not an easy repair and not as simple as bolting the pully back on and hoping it will be ok im afraid. :(

If the pully is wobbling then its not sitting right due to the damage by the sounds of it, and it will eventually cause problems again. The ignition timing will probably be affected too.

What were they reffering to as 'rod'?

Welcome to the forum anyway mate, unfortunate first post though. :(

Neil.

PS:The crank bolt shearing/coming loose has happened to quite a few others in the past...Vw now sell a replacement (for the g60) that rids the issue.

Neil.

Hi Neil, And thank you for such a quick reply.

By rod i think they mean Crankshaft. They were saying there was damage to the end of it which may cause it to become looser. They said and i quote 'it shouldn't be a problem but it will need checking every now and again'.

If you were me what would you do? Do you think its sturdy enough to take it back to the garage. It wasn't squealing at the garage but has quickly developed within about 3 short drives. I'm worried at the rate its developed that it will fall apart and take out the cam belt again. Is this something i can say they should have sorted when they did the job or am i looking at spending out again to have this crank pulley and crankshaft ( ?) replaced. Is this likely to be a very expensive job?

Thanks for your help. As you can probably tell i don't really understand whats happening here, and am very grateful for any advice,

Thanks for the welcome to the club!,

Pete.

hmmm.

Sounds iffy.

your going to have to take it back to them as it should not be doing that,and you don't want to be shelling out again for a new engine.

How comfortable are you on the tools?

I'd strip off all the belts so that I could take a better look.maybe the crank keyway sustained some damage?

I'm assuming you experienced the classic PG ceank bolt failure?!!

http://www.the-corrado.net/.archive/forum/viewto ... =1&t=23101

Also if when they put the crank pulley back on the didn't aling the pulley up properly it would not sit flush on the crank and would wobble,but i'd expect any mechanic with a bit of common sense to get that right.