Sign in to follow this  
Mawrick

What other maintenance should I do when doing the chain?

Anyone got any tips on what I should do when I do the chain on my 95 VR6?

It's done about 120000 Km, and I will obviously do the clutch, but is there any other things I should do at the same time?.

Also does my corrado have the single or dual chain?.

I'm a bit unsure what parts I will need so any tips on that is also appreciated.

Did search around here, but couldn't find answers to these Q's

it would be dual chain if its the original engine.

120k kms isn't too bad and depends how you're doing the job to be honest, but if you're doing it yourself and taking the engine out then it would make sense to do thermostat housing, crack pipe and water pump at the same time if you're feeling generous. make sure you do the clutch release bearing as well as the plate too.

when the dollar was better then chain/tensioner kits from the US (fourseasonstuning.com etc) were worth getting but you probably wont save that much now..

Ok, thnx for the tips, will get a local guy to do it for me, so won't be to bad cost wise, so will try to do these things, was also wondering if there is any more internal engine things one should check out at the same time?.

Also do one need new head gasket or only gasket for the air-intake?

I might get my parts from the UK as I resides in Norway, and your right about the dollar.....:(

thnx for the info...;)

taking the head off is a big job and there's no need if you're not actually rebuilding it. upper intake manifold and rocker cover gaskets would be worth doing yes.

Also replace the crankshaft oil seal in the lower timing cover and the flywheel bolts (10 of those, pre-treated with thread-lock compound). I also replaced the 6 clutch cover bolts

As said before, it is worth doing all the plastic water pipes/housings/seals, and check that the thermostat is functioning correctly.

The wiring loom binding will be falling to pieces by now, so make a nice neat job with new tape.

Ideally, replace the gasket between the throttle body and the manifold. The head gasket will only need replacing it if it is accidentally damaged whilst the timing covers are off. Take great care to avoid this!!

Have a really good look at all the coolant hoses, especially around the clips. Some of them can be a real swine to get at once everything is re-assembled and are so much easier to replace at the dismantled stage.

In general refer to the very comprehensive articles in the Knowledge Base - they are still there despite the temporary disruption of the site.

Best wishes

RB