Sign in to follow this  
jaded2882

Charger worries

I'm a bit concerned about my Glader for a couple of reasons-

1. Using the MFA boost check I'm getting max reading of 1650, and I'm running a 68mm pulley with an RSR outlet. I've checked for boost leaks and there's nothing obvious but not been over it with the fairy liquid etc. yet.

2. There is oil in the boost pipes- it's not loads, but more than a 'misting'. If I take the pipe off by the intercooler, it doesn't pour out but it's fairly well coated on the inside and gets all over my hands.

It was serviced at Jabba about 7,000 miles ago. What concerns me is that 6 months ago I was getting 1950 on MFA and I had the old baffle box on then! Does this sound like I've got imminent charger popping? What else could it be?

more likely a leak. you may find as theres less back pressure from a rsr that the boost reading will be lower but i wouldnt of thought that much.

I would expect a little oil in the pipes, unless you have the boost return deleted as the engine breather dumps into the boost return system.

As for boost pressure, bit of a difficult one this, pressure is only there as a result of a restriction in the system and an RSR outlet will flow much better than the plastic box. Best bet is to refit the plastic silencer box and see what sort of figures you get then. Post them up here as I am interested in the results.

I would expect a little oil in the pipes, unless you have the boost return deleted as the engine breather dumps into the boost return system.

I have deleted the boost return! But have still got some oil in the pipes.

As for boost pressure, bit of a difficult one this, pressure is only there as a result of a restriction in the system and an RSR outlet will flow much better than the plastic box. Best bet is to refit the plastic silencer box and see what sort of figures you get then. Post them up here as I am interested in the results.

Afraid I can't do that as it was cracked and went in the bin at G-werks when the RSR went on!

I get the point about the RSR possibly causing a drop in measured boost. I've checked the pipes with fairy liquid and no obvious leaks, but haven't had a chance to jack it up and have a good look at the intercooler, is this a common place to have leaks? The pipes going in and out of it look fine though.

What point is the boost measurement taken from on the MFA? Is it the very obvious sensor sticking out from the pipe just before it bends round into the throttle body? And am I right in thinking apart from having flowed heads and throttle bodies etc. there isn't any other mods to engine that could change boost? (eg. cam)

The MFA boost pressure indication comes from one of the 2 cloth covered hoses connected to the throttle body.

Most engine mods will mess around with boost pressure although given your lack of boost return and the smaller pulley it would be worth getting the charger checked out.

I've fitted big FMIC now and doesn't feel to have made much difference- still got oily pipes so think I'd best get it sent down to G-werks for a service soon.

Since I've put the FMIC on and will get the charger ported while it's off, would I need a new chip? These would be the only mods since the last one.

jabbas work hasnt good for some time now

ive had problems with their rebuilds and know others that had them grenade at low miles

be worth at lest getting a health check on it a gwerks

t_jabbaquality_287.jpg

How come they haven't sorted this out yet? I mean, if everyone knows Jabba and G-werks are the places to go for rebuilds, and then read all the negative stories about Jabba and the great ones about G-werks- how do Jabba get any customers for rebuilds? I guess they are about £90 cheaper for a full blend port and service but is that worth risking?

I've not had any dealings with them or chargers blowing up myself, just wondered if anyone knows what they do wrong and why they haven't changed?

Because the number of G60 owners that use these Forums is small compared to the number of G60 owners that don't.

Jabba were once very good. Way before G-Werks or JMR were around. So lots of G60's out there will have had good rebuilds by Jabba. So when somebody buys a G60 they look through the service history and paperwork and find a receipt for a charger rebuild by Jabba. They don't know any better so they take it back to there.

I'm finally taking it off to post down this week. It's been getting more and more sluggish and I can't even get wheelspin in 2nd when I floor it now :mad2: which I used to get in 3rd!

Is there anything I should know about taking it off and putting it back that might catch me out? I'll be following this http://www.matey-matey.com/g60-rebuild-article.shtml as I've not done it before.

Also, anyone know how much a G lader weighs? I know it's prob been asked before but couldn't find it.

Cheers bud that should be handy

(long sad story why I didn't have to send one). :(

I don't wanna know! :( Might give me nightmares!