Sign in to follow this  
waynos

1.8t oil filter housing breather?

right ive been looking at my engine today and im now baffled

see pic (not my engine)

whatsthis.jpg

now i havent got this pipe, think the guy i got it off forgot to give it to me so i need to chase him up on that. What i want to kno is what this pipe is. Is it a breather of some sort? If so where does it go? if anyone has any diagrams that would be great

it is a breather pipe. it connects to a couple of other breather pipes and leads up back into the turbo intake pipe. it doesnt need to be connected back into the system if you can put up with a little oil mist. i put a small filter on the end of mine. it is also a pain in the arse to plumb back into the turbo intake pipe when you start putting big boost pipes in, there isnt alot of room!

if you can wait until the weekend, and let me know what pictures you want, i will get some sorted for you

if you can wait until the weekend, and let me know what pictures you want, i will get some sorted for you

Cheers Rob.

If it's no trouble.

Just what to see what fittings lead off from that pipe really from different angles

Rgds

Rob. :)

which engine are you running? i have chopped mine about a bit but it does it the same job

could i just put a large hose on it feeding to a catch tank? think i got another pic which ill dig out later

the thing with that hose is that it collects a few other hoses on the way to the breather outlet on the top of the head and then into the TIP.

as long as you do somethin with all the outlets then you wont have a problem. i took that pipe you are showing and fed it into a small K & N filter, and did the same with the breather outlet on the rocker cover. you could feed this into a catch tank, i just find there isnt loads of room on that side of the engine bay as my TIP and my pre intercooler boost pipe run that way

got a few more pics

DSC00190.jpg

DSC00092.jpg

been doing some more digging and found out that it uses a pcv valve between the oilfilter housing breather, the cam cover breather and the inlet manifold. You can see it better in the 2nd pic (like a t piece) I think im going to just vent mine to a catch tank , and block off the nipple at the inlet

the pictures arent very good as there is quite a bit of pipework and wiring going on around the breather area.

i apologise for the state of my engine bay, but i have spent more than enough time under the bonnet in the last few years, and im happy to close it and drive it! :wave:

thats quite handy actually. I see you have two breather filters, one from the cam cover. Is the other one coming off the pipework from the top of the oil filter housing?

the pictures arent very good as there is quite a bit of pipework and wiring going on around the breather area.

i apologise for the state of my engine bay, but i have spent more than enough time under the bonnet in the last few years, and im happy to close it and drive it! :wave:

cheers for taking the time to post pics.

Don't apologize mate,engine bay looks good to me.

I really couldn't care less about bling.Did you make that boost pipe yourself?

Which 20vt engine are you running then?

hows she go?

thats quite handy actually. I see you have two breather filters, one from the cam cover. Is the other one coming off the pipework from the top of the oil filter housing?

yep thats right. on the original pipework for the breather system, there is a "y" piece which joined the rocker cover outlet to the pipe coming from the oil filter housing. this pipe then went into the turbo intake pipe (tip)

i never put the breather hose into the tip as the pipework gets too messy and its really tight round there.

i did have 1 filter coming off the y piece, but i found that this y piece collapses and was all split, so i ditched it and just put another filter on the rocker cover

cheers for taking the time to post pics.

Don't apologize mate,engine bay looks good to me.

I really couldn't care less about bling.Did you make that boost pipe yourself?

Which 20vt engine are you running then?

hows she go?

thanks mate, i dont subscribe to the bling thing either.

a mate of mine made the boost pipe. its made up of segments so that the internal area of the pipe is the same throughout all the bends in it. if you have a single piece pipe with bends in it, the internal diameter of the pipe in those bends with be reduced quite a bit.

im running and ARX engine from a skoda octavia 4 x 4 elegance!! so im not sure it would have had a hard life until now!

it goes like a train! makes 20psi, so a total of 220bhp and 236lb/ft torque.

it can be a bit enteraining when it comes on boost when its a bit wet, it just starts wheel spinning in 3rd gear at 50mph!

alot of people say the 20vt is a dull engine, but that is due to the excellent mapping that vw do to make it a smooth drive. i dont think a serial port remap will make it much more fun. as im using MBE management, the mapping is completely different, and the engine feels a completely different beast!

really shocked loads of people havent done this yet

yep used the qpeng stuff. i did make the loom myself though to save some money.

no problems installing it, it really is so simple to do! done 2 conversions now using the qpeng stuff. and Ben at qpeng is a top bloke.

is that the route you are going down?

yea, thats exactly what im planning on doing. Im going to go for the diy kit as im confident with doing the wiring. Did you need to buy any extra connectors? At the moment im just cleaning up the engine and changing parts to save any bother in the future. Next items i want to change are the cambelt and tensioner. Ive got another question also, have you changed the water pump on yours? ive heard stories about the plastic impellor coming away from its shaft causing the engine to overheat. I read that you can get a water pump with a metal impellor but have also heard things about them jamming up causing the cambelt to snap! Im kind of undecided on what to get. :shrug:

ask Ben which connectors you will need. there are a few you will need, but they are only a few quid each. i also got one of their downpipes as the original 20v will not will.

i have changed the water pump on mine, they do fail sometimes. i just got a replacement with a plastic impellor, its just worth changing while you have the engine out.