Sign in to follow this  
mikehiow

clutch and misfire

Well, this will teach me to neglect my car all week.

I've not driven my car since Tuesday, but this evening I decided to go get the shopping, first thing I noticed was an almighty crunch when putting the car in reverse, it was near impossible to change gear, and I had to switch the car off and release the clutch to take it out of reverse, I travelled a couple of miles rev matching, and this seemed to go away (I had a feeling it may, as the gearbox has been "notchy" when cold since I've had it).

Then on the way back from Tesco, the car started sounding like an Impreza. When I stopped I pulled off each lead individually from the coilpack, and each one seemed to give spark. I've changed the coilpack last week, too - after the last one died.

Any suggestions?

i assume its a VR6 mate? The clutch can get surface rust on the surface if stood for some time but should clear after a few clutch workings,or your gear oil is cold and thick as mud from the cold weather. Hs it done it since?

As for the missfire,dampness can set in,or poor leads? what condition are your plugs?

I've not driven it since, but it's been "notchy" from cold since I acquired the car a few weeks back.

I've not had a chance to check the plugs yet - I meant to change them shortly after getting the new coilpack, but never quite got around to it (Although, they, along with the leads are less than a year old).

It was fine when I got it, then two cylinders died on the coil pack, replaced the coil pack, and it was fine - for a while, until yesterday.

Quick question, I bought a set of 6 plugs from the dealer, Platinum tipped ones I believe. Would these have come pre-gapped? 300 miles later, and the car is mis-firing again :(