Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Random question, Spanner size

Just remembered something i need to know, but haven't got car with me.

does anyone know the size of the spanner/socket needed to tighten up the temperature sender on the VR6 radiator, the bit above the bottom hose.

I need to tighten this, but can't get a spanner or anything to it, don't fancy taking half of car apart again, so might try a really deep socket.

its either 27mm, 28mm, or 29mm :lol:

i couldn't get the adjustable in there, its so cramped, don't think the aircon pipes help my case

i was planning to get a big socket and try that way

I managed to get a socket in there when I changed mine late last year. I got the socket from my local motor factors and it actually said on it 'temp switch socket' or something along those lines. It is cramped but with the right extension length on I managed to undoe and tighten and I've got aircon too. Was about 6 quid for the one socket though.

i put the damn thing in there when i changed the radiator and its been leaking slightly as i didn't want to tighten it so much i broke it :lol:

hopefully a socket will do it then, i might just buy a few around that size

I’d be careful if just buying normal sockets though. The one I bought was deeper so it fit over the connection on the end, my normal socket wouldn’t do it.

water pump pliers FTW

NWS%20German%20Water%20Pump%20Pliers.jpg

as well as teflon plumbers tape round the threads of the sender :)

something like that won't fit :lol:

got the socket this morning so will try it when i get home later, hopefully that will work.

i had the correct size spanner from work once, but could only hold the temp thingy, couldn't find room to turn the spanner at all :(