Sign in to follow this  
Jay23Sx

16V KR squeals when pulling away ..

Hi Everyone,

My newly returned to the road 1.8 valver has just started to develop a squeal when pulling away (or even changing down a gear at a roundabout).

Doesn't do it when standing still so hard to pin point engine bay location. Only lasts a few seconds and once it's done it a couple of times may not do it for the rest of the drive. Someone suggested it sounds like the alternator belt - any ideas?

Cheers.

Yeah - try tightening the alternator belt first - it's dead easy (two spanners and 2 minute job).

Mine got ridiculously loud for the first few minutes of driving when it started to get cold - I checked and the belt was super slack so nipped it up and it shut it right up!

Cheers everyone, I doubt it's the pas pump as I've had experience of that (the car was doing it when I got it).

Will check out the alternator belt.

It's definitely a belt .. even though I can pin point one.

You know that horrible noise you sometimes get from old cars as they pass you by which automatically makes you go "they really need to sort the fan belt" .. well it's that one :) I'm not sure if that sounds a little weird but it does.

Oh, has anyone got any tips on tightening the belt?

I understand that I don't want to make it to tight (so it has no deflection) but will it be obvious when I'm under there tomorrow what to undo etc. to achieve the result? I would look in my red Haynes manual but I can't find it :(

Yes mate! The alternator pivots on two bolts attaching it to the block, loosen these. The top alternator attachment is a long slotted bracket with a large lock-nutted and toothed adjustment bolt which engages in some teeth on the bracket. Loosen the lock nut, adjust tension by rotating the bolt with the teeth on and then lock off the bolt and tighten the pivot bolts. The belt's at the correct tension when you can only twist it through 90 degrees. 8)

I doubt it's PAS belt, the steering would feel funny if that was slack enough to start squealing.

I'll second that, mine needs tweeking and it feels a bit weird AND noisey first thing.

I doubt it's PAS belt, the steering would feel funny if that was slack enough to start squealing.

I know what that feels like, the car came with a squeaky PAS belt - VW sold me the wrong replacement belt but in the end just tightening it sorted it. Made quite a difference, the car actually feels like it has power steering now.