Sign in to follow this  
Slimg60

Very Thirsty G60

Since fitting the TD5 FMIC I've noticed that my car has an unhealthy thirst. I haven't been driving with a heavy foot either.

Someone I work with suggested that it's because my chip is for the S4 charger and pulley and that the new intercooler has upset it.

Is this true? If it is can i get a generic chip for my set up to save my aching wallet :(

I haven't adjusted the CO2 pot either since fitting the intercooler, does this need setting up?

I'm really desperate as it's getting to the point where I may need to sell for a cheaper to run :(

Intercooling should make a car more economical when driven accordingly.

I would put the fmic fitment aside 4 now and troubleshoot all the usual g60 fueling points that could cause over fueling. :)

A cooler air temp charge is more dense, and a more dense charge needs more fuel to burn correctly.

Thats the whole point of adding a front mount for better cooling.

Im not saying there isnt something wrong though.

A cooler air temp charge is more dense, and a more dense charge needs more fuel to burn correctly.

Thats the whole point of adding a front mount for better cooling.

Im not saying there isnt something wrong though.

A cooler and therefore denser air charge will facilitate more torque than a warmer one and so it is possible for an engine to run leaner under these conditions and still do the same amount of work thus getting better fuel economy.

A good engine map can take advantage of this in the non aggressive areas of the map.

I agree that it is not cut and dry but i would be looking at the basics 1st.

Thanks for the responses, I've checked around already, lambda wiring seems fine and the temp sensors were changed not so long ago but i might replace them all to see if it helps. The only thing I found was the earth strap on the throttle body was disconnected but everything else seems fine :shrug:

Thanks for the responses, I've checked around already, lambda wiring seems fine and the temp sensors were changed not so long ago but i might replace them all to see if it helps. The only thing I found was the earth strap on the throttle body was disconnected but everything else seems fine :shrug:

earth strap doesn'affect fuel i don't think.

So was it pretty night and day when the intercooler went on?

how bad is it?

It's difficult to say if it was over night, the car did less than 1000miles last year and most of these were only to take it out for a bit of fuel and to keep the wheels turning.

I'm getting a little over 200 a tank, but used to get more than this, nearer 250-300.

Ok well as i said intercoolers/aquamist etc will aid fuel economy in the non aggressive areas of your engines operation.Obviously that is not what tuners have in mind when they fit them but power and effciency are flip sides of the same coin.

Most road cars will have an area in their MAPS designed to allow for good fuel consumption.To attain a particular afr target the amount of fuel needed in an ignition event goes down the cooler the intake charge is.

The amount of fuel increases obviously as boost pressure increases.So if you can increase your boost pressure and keeps temps down you will use less fuel to attain a particular target air/fuel ratio and torque figure.

Most good mappers would not totally ignore fuel economy in a lightly/moderately tuned g60 and your target afr's would not be extremely rich under part throttle at moderate rpms.

What I am basically trying to say is that Just fitting a fmic would not cause the ecu to simply dump more fuel across the engines whole working range.In fact in some areas it will use less.

A colder charge is also less prone to det/knock/pinking and ignition timing will get to a more advanced state b4 the knock sensor is called into action and so better torque will be produced which again will aid fuel economy in some areas.

Is it not possible that your fuel economy has simply just been getting worse slowly over a period of time?

Since you have had your fmic has your driving style changed maybe? :)