Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Return of the door lock fault

I had this before but i lived with it, now it seems to of gotten worse.

basically i try to unlock the car and the door pin rises a little bit then gets sucked back down, and i can't open door.

It does it on both doors, but i managed to get the passenger door open, but can't pull pin up manually on the drivers door..

I can also get in the boot.

I have noticed in the past that when i lock the car, every thirty seconds or so, there would be a noise, like the pump pulsing and trying to lock car, although its already locked

I have noticed in the past that when i lock the car, every thirty seconds or so, there would be a noise, like the pump pulsing and trying to lock car, although its already locked

No idea what the prob may be but mine has always done the 30-or-so-second double lock thing but only once each time as far as I know.

theres loads in the manual setting up the door handles etc, and testing the 12 pin connector, but not much about failing to unlock

when i try to unlock i can hear the pump, quite loudly and it makes a groan. I daren't lock it now, so just got passenger door unlocked and boot unlocked, just the drivers down won't open.

if i blow down the pipe in the boot should that open it? Searched the forum quite a lot about it, but nowhere mentions deadlocks? i presume thats why i can't pull the pin up

theres loads in the manual setting up the door handles etc, and testing the 12 pin connector, but not much about failing to unlock

when i try to unlock i can hear the pump, quite loudly and it makes a groan. I daren't lock it now, so just got passenger door unlocked and boot unlocked, just the drivers down won't open.

if i blow down the pipe in the boot should that open it? Searched the forum quite a lot about it, but nowhere mentions deadlocks? i presume thats why i can't pull the pin up

Believe the drivers door has a master switch which operates the pump and creates a vaccum which locks/unlocks the passenger door and boot and that's why you can open the passenger door. Blowing down the tube is no good for this reason. I would check that the vaccum pipes are all connected properly first.

I would check that the vaccum pipes are all connected properly first.

I have suggested this to if I'd not been half asleep, vacuum pipes the easy check...D'oh!

bugger its still the same this morning, can't get door open.

i'm just going to start in the boot and take the interior out. Got a few other bits i want to do so will just take the whole lot out and see what happens.

You can get to the rear two doorcard screws with the door shut but you'll have to lever it off at the front, the screw receptacle should pull out of the door. It's a bit of a pain.

i can't get to the screws on the front or rear edge of the card :(

i've unearthed the pump in the boot, and that seems to suck and blow ok.......also if i blow or suck down the line i feel a vacuum so it doesn't seem like theres a leak.

i guess its something in the door i can't open or get to........pretty stumped now as i don't wanna ruin my lovely leather doorcards.

i've bloody done it!!!

chuffed :D

i used the same bit of metal rod that i used to undo bonnet when the cable broke, guided it between window and door, found the latch to hook onto and managed to pull it up whilst the key was in the lock

daren't shut it now, but am getting expert on finding ways in to corrados :lol:

Good work hope you find the problem, and cure it.

I had issues with Audi handles and the length of the door latch accuating rod. It maybe the same for you?

If the rod is wrong length it stops the latch unlocking, well it did on the audi ones. It's a ball ache but at least you can get the door card off.

There's not alot of access though, hope your hands are smaller than mine!! :lol:

Taking the latch assembly right out and seeing how it works may help give a clue. Hopefully something has just fallen off/disconnected!!

i found a little piece of metal lying in the rear footwell of car, it looks like a bit of car, i don't reckonise it from anyway else and i clean the car often.

thing is the doorcard etc is all still on the door, so not sure it could of found its way out of door and onto the floor :lol:

going out there now to strip door down and see whats what.

there's quite a techinical bit in the bentley maunal about setting up handles etc and the levelling adjuster thingymebob, but it doesn't make sense to me yet

here's what i've discovered

the little arm on the lock/latch part wasn't returning up, once i'd locked car it was stuck down.

DSC01477.jpg

i think this is whats causing my problem, as i can pull that up and door opens with the handle, i've sprayed it with wd40 and it is now springy again, but i've yet to test the locking again as its still hanging out of door.

you can get to this lever with the door stuck shut and the door card on, you just need to get a metal rod with a hooked end, to reach in and pull lever up

hard to see

DSC01479.jpg but the lever is under the white thing

i'm going to take both locks and both handles out and strip them down, clean them up etc and fit the door handle repair kits (just while i'm there)

when i first got the passat, it had been standing on someones drive for 3 montsh and wa a bit crusty, the very first time i went to get out of it, it wouldnt let me out, kept sucking the pin down as you describe, had to open the window and put the key in the door and managed to fight it long enough to open the door.

i doused the lock mech in wd40 and never had the problem again . . . so yours should be ok now id imagine :)

thanks for this great thread... looks like I now know what I'll be doing to my passenger door this weekend... :brickwall: :lol: :clap:

You must be part genie or wizard!!! I`ve had the drivers door card off to try and see where to lever up (so i can relate to the passenger door which is stuck) and there seem to be no way of actually getting any where near it.

me and my bro are having a nightmare trying to get the passenger door open.

Door card off but won't open at all. pump is working and pin goes up but door stays shut

grrrrrr

*** update -- done!!!!!!***