Sign in to follow this  
CazzaVR

MFA problems

Hi all,

My MFA screens (inc mileage) go off completely when the ignition's blank. It also doesn't reset automatically after a journey, even if it's been left for a day. The clock also loses it's time when the ignition is turned off!

Where is the fuse for the MFA? Anyone had any similar problems- any solutions?

Cheers

Sounds like a fuse.

Does your glove-box light work?

If not - its the same fuse IIRC. Fuse 16, 15amps.

Check fuse 21 too (also 15amps) - as this does some dash-stuff too.

Hope its just that and not something serious :?

Well, it would seem that the permnament live is either disconnected or faulty.. so its working on ignition live.

Anyone any ideas? That's a bit of the car I haven't taken apart yet so don't know much about it ;)

I have a smiliar problem on my G60. Unfortunately it is intermittent which is a very bad sign. You can sit in the car and see the clock is set, then you turn the key and as the engine starts the clock, MFA, and trip all reset to zero. If it happened every time it would be easier to live with but it just happens maybe once a week.

I'm betting on some loose contact somewhere. Probably we have the same problem, just that I am in the early stages and you are at the logical conclusion. If I ever find anything out I will let you know.

I have a smiliar problem on my G60. Unfortunately it is intermittent which is a very bad sign. You can sit in the car and see the clock is set, then you turn the key and as the engine starts the clock, MFA, and trip all reset to zero. If it happened every time it would be easier to live with but it just happens maybe once a week.

I'm betting on some loose contact somewhere. Probably we have the same problem, just that I am in the early stages and you are at the logical conclusion. If I ever find anything out I will let you know.

I used to get this when my battery was on the way out. Changed the battery and its never happened since.

I was going to suggest a weak battery too but if the car turns over as quickly as normal, it's more likely to be an earth problem or perhaps the ignition switch is on it's way out?

The Corrado MFA doesn't have a ni-cd batteries or anything silly like that to store data should the main battery lose connection? I only mention this because BMWs have batteries for the instruments and OBC to retain the service timer and other function's data. Just a thought, but I've certainly not heard of VW doing anything like that.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

I was going to suggest a weak battery too but if the car turns over as quickly as normal, it's more likely to be an earth problem or perhaps the ignition switch is on it's way out?

The Corrado MFA doesn't have a ni-cd batteries or anything silly like that to store data should the main battery lose connection? I only mention this because BMWs have batteries for the instruments and OBC to retain the service timer and other function's data. Just a thought, but I've certainly not heard of VW doing anything like that.

Cheers

Kev

94 VR6

yeah kev m8 they don't have the same set-up that bmw's have cos the 2nd set of figures on the mfa....the totals reset after they reach a set value or if the battery is disconnected

The ignition switch was recently replaced. According to my Dad (who has had the car for the past three years) it has always had this annoying problem with the MFA. It would be nice to think it was something as simple as the battery but I think probably not. I never have any problems starting or anything like that. (Unlike my BMW which is currently 'eating' a high-power battery every 8-10 months while everyone assures me they cannot find any fault! Bah!)

It is tempting to throw in a new battery and see what happens but I am already getting 'that look' from the other half with regard to the amount of money that is going on 'the yellow peril'. I guess if I wait a few months and the battery is on the way out then I will know for certain soon enough!

Yeh, don't think it's the battery 'cos my battery is only a few months old and everything else works fine. Like Andi said before, looks like it's something to do with the permanent live/loose connection.

Can't really afford to get it checked professionally at the mo', but not confident enough with the electrics to have a go myself. :?