Sign in to follow this  
blackthorn

air lock maybe?

hey guys,

i think theres an air lock in the coolent system atm tho because when the car started heating up it started to piss the coolent out the side of the bottle and the fluid level would rise fairly high

how do i get rid of this any advice?or any other thoughts what it may be?

cheers,

Andy

From cold, remove the expansion tank top and start and run the car and let it get up to temp. As it's warming up squeeze the two pipes connected to the radiator (top and bottom) to try and push water round and it should help push out any airlocks. Then when the coolant is coming up to temperature and you can see some being returned into the expansion tank, kill the car and let it cool down still with the expansion tank cap off. Any air left should burp its way out of the system eventually. Then when the car is cold again just stick the expansion tank cap on.

Make sure you have the newer blue colour expansion tank cap and not the old black type.. there was a known defect on the black ones where they would fail and permit coolant to blow out, probably in a similar way to what you're experiencing!

muchos thanks mate :D will give that a try tomorrow!

will also nick the blue one off my polo gti and replace it with the black one since i no longer own the silver one lol

bahahaahhahahahahahahahahahaha awsome :D

as long as a topic goes off topic it has to be about family guy :D

i have stewie tattoo'd on my leg :) the one where he's shaving him self for swiming and brian walks in and stewies asks him to shave his coin purse bahahah :lol:

You have a tattoo of a cartoon character shaving his ass? Hats off to thee sir! :salute:

We may as well have a General Family Guy Chat section just so that we have somewhere to move these threads to! :lol: