Sign in to follow this  
raddo_tom

Engine Temp...

Being new to 60 ownership i'm wondering if 110 on the temp gage (not the oil temp) too hot??

I know there is alot going on under there but i feel that that is pretty darn hot!

It's only when in traffic as soon as i'm on the move it cools down straight away and sit's at 1/2 way on the temp gauge...

Never had the temp warning light on but i'm wondering if maybe my fan switch/thermo sender is out???

110 in traffic is a little high, the radiator fan should switch over to high speed at 105 (low speed is 95). It would be worth while checking your radiator fan thermo switch as it seems as though the rest of your coolant system is working ok given the needle position when at speed.

It could also be a worn black temperature sensor signalling the gauge in the car (it's the black 2 pin sensor next to the blue 2 pin sensor on the black coolant flange on the front of the block. As this is a NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) type of resistor as they age the insulation breaks down causing a higher reading (as the sensor gets hotter the thermal resistance reduces, this is the NTC bit, normally materials thermal resistance increases as they get hotter).

Black temp sensor is less than a £10 from VW and I would get a VW one as I have known someone to stand in a well know aftermarket supplier with a multimeter and work there way through the stock only to none were working correctly.