Sign in to follow this  
_leon_

removing grit from sandblasting...

Recently had the manifold blasted and I gave it a quick rinse before fitting. On rinsing though i realised that the inside of the manifold is lined with powder/grit/etc - a lot of larger particles washed out slowly - but all the walls have a layer of fine powder which doesn't seem to wash out - unless disturbed with a cloth or brush. How can try and get the innards fully cleaned out? Positive this will harm the engine if fitted as is. Will be calling the company tomorrow but hoping someone else has some suggestions. cheers

Seems oil that was lining the inside chamber of the manifold is what's causing the powder and grit to stick. The shop suggested trying gunk to remove the oil. Failing that try caustic soda in their cleaning tank. Wish the holes had if just been covered ffs. Any other ideas?

Yeah problem with any form of media blasting.. but thought they should have de-greased it first? :confused4:

Try a range of Bottle brushes, get them from Home-brew centres etc... They should be enough to get everything clean...

i would try using petrol to dissolve the oil, then rinse it through with gunk, and finally go down to a garage and get it high pressure steam blasted.

good ideas. very annoying having to do this now... is it worth just taking it back and asking them to clean it using caustic soda in the cleaning tank? not sure its fine to do that with aluminium

i would get them to do as much of the work as possible since they were the ones who did not cover the port holes in the first place! I don't know if the soda will damge the manifold though so check that before you go down that route.

Don't try using Caustic Soda. I destroyed a cast alloy exhaust from a Sunbeam motorcycle years ago trying to decoke it with the stuff. That was harder to replace than Corrado parts.

Try getting a gallon of paraffin , seal off one side of the manofold with duck tape or similar and fill it up with said paraffin. Let it sit a few minutes and then scrub out with the previously mentioned bottle brushes. Repeat if necessary from the other side then wash with hot water and detergent. If you feel up to it give it a good blast with a power washer to finish off. Old fashioned but effective.

Wullie