Sign in to follow this  
SBD

Handbrake not fiitting MK4 rear caliper

I've looked through the forum and consenus would appear that the standard Corrado handbrake cable should fit the MK4 rear brake caliper except mine don't!

The nipple part at the end is too small and slides through. I've brought a new Febi cable and have the same issue, the nipple end again is too small.

The only thing I can think off is that the calipers are not genuine VAG, however the supplier I brought them from has compared against a genuine VAG caliper and has stated the gap is the same at 7mm. I haven't got a genuine caliper to confirm whether this is correct or not.

Any help would be appreciated.

:scratch:

Hello - yeah should be fine...

Any pics??

I have a handbrake cable and a new caliper in the garage so will go and have a look after tea...

Thanks, if you could let me know.

Here is a very poor dark picture I took in the garage (I'm not doing the work myself) which doesn't really help.

Hbrake.jpg[/attachment:262x1fzm]

it should fit fine, i have mk4 calipers on mine and had the cables renewed, and i've taken them off again when the axle came off.

i could measure all the bits on mine but probably not going to be able to do it for a day or two.

So the nipple on end of cable is smaller in diameter than the width of the gap on the caliper lever?

Hmmm... right genuine caliper and late handbrake cable -

The gap on the caliper is just over 4mm to let the cable over

The bit on the end of the cable is just over 8mm

Think you issue is a combo of both parts but maybe new genuine handbrake cables will fix?

If not maybe get the garage to modify something slightly - not rocket science!

Just looking at the pic again, the cable looks original and genuine so probably worth changing anyway (you don't want new calipers binding because of old cables)

But, I'm sure the caliper is the issue and the guy is just trying to fob you off - the bit at the end can be changed easily on the car if he posts them out, looks far to wide in the pic!

Thanks for the replies. So to confirm, the gap should be around 4mm. The picture is with the original genuine cable so I do not think the problem lies there but with the caliper. If this is so off to the Dealers (via the Bank!) to get sorted.

Yeah - I don't think that bit is available seperatly (not from VW anyway)

Maybe try a Lucas dealer or just get them off (1 x 13mm nut) and get it heated up and bent slightly

you could probably make it work with a washer if you cut a slot in the washer, not sure how well it would say put though

I probably just cut my losses on this one and get genuine calipers and handbrake cables. If this is the quality so far, I may have a lot of headaches further down the road.

Just to confirm the following are the correct part numbers for the genuine calipers?

1J0 615 423 & 1J0 615 424

I'd always recommend genuine bits but Calipers will only be made by a few manufacturers and they are already fitted with hoses etc, I'd just get the hook bent to work but still replace the cables...

Yeah, I thought about it but my garage weren't keen as they could not be certain how long they would hold.

I presume its how well they do it. I shall explore that option further with them tommorrow.

If I do decide to get genuine calipers, have I got the right part numbers?

Yeah that's correct... same as I used

Newer ones (from 2001 on) have a G suffix on that same part number - I wonder if thats when the cable clip got wider?

Yikes!

I think I try and get the hook bent. If they did this to almost 90degrees I can not see it failing. If it starts to fail I'll investigate the genuine calipers then given that the set-up is currently complete except for the handbrake cables.

I will get 2 genuine h-brake cables to see if this helps as the old genuine h-brake cable nipple is slightly larger than the febi one.

Anything further advice before I comit tomorrow would be appreicated.

Yikes!

I think I try and get the hook bent. If they did this to almost 90degrees I can not see it failing. If it starts to fail I'll investigate the genuine calipers then given that the set-up is currently complete except for the handbrake cables.

I will get 2 genuine h-brake cables to see if this helps as the old genuine h-brake cable nipple is slightly larger than the febi one.

Anything further advice before I comit tomorrow would be appreicated.

It won't be a matter of weather they are genuine or not!!!!! If you replaced a genuine part with a pattern part if still has to fit the application!!! It's far more likely to be the wrong part (caliper)

Interesting... be good if someone could confirm these are the late MK4 calipers...

I might take a look at one and see what sort of thing is at the end of the handbrake cable...

SBD - any updates dude?

I was going to get the connection bent to fit but at the last minute bottled it and got genuine calipers. Part numbers as previous with no letter afterwards. Perfect fit for the febi handbrake cable (& indeed the original VW one), gap is in deed smaller. I will have a measure on the weekend to see what the gap is actually compared to the non-genuine ones. Calipers from VW cost me £89 + VAT. Non genuine ones were bought from Veedubmachine who have promised a refund.

Also had the front wishbones & bushes done & ball joints. The difference in handling is remarkable including the breaking. Poorer but happier as a result. :D

Just forgot, the non-genuine calipers state on the box that they were a direct replacement for the genuine VW part, with the VW part number quoted on the box.

Cool, glad you got it sorted in the end!

As Kip says they should fit but I've found pattern parts either don't fit well or don't last.

Sorry mate I was wrong then, but who the hell sells brake components that don't fit the intended application, that really is shockingly bad- they must have had thousands of returns unless it was for a different issue mk4 perhaps? what make were they out of interest?

Edit, oh I've just read your post, they have the VAG part no on their box.....bad product then

Sorry forn the late reply been aways on my hols.

The make I bought were Brax. The gap on the handbrake cable clip is 8mm compared to 4mm on the genuine VAG.