Sign in to follow this  
Meth

Gear stick split washer?

This corrado im going to pick up (hopefully) in a week or twos time has a problem with the gear selection between 1st and 2nd aparently.

According to the guy, who seems very honest, it slides too far to one side or something ?

Aparently the garage said it was just a split pin type washer that goes on the end of the shaft, he has sent me a picture and it looks like it makes sense. Is this a common problem? I would hate to be drawn into something that is more serious because im new to the cars...

Any info is appreciated!

Cheers!

Yep - easy to resolve and common cause of gearshift problems.

There is a little circlip that clips onto the gear shift mechanism, under the gaiter, which limits how far to one side the mechanism can slide. Without it you end up with awkward, sloppy gear selection for 1st and 2nd. The circlip costs peanuts from VW and is obviously seconds to fit - but I believe there are different circlips depending on which model you need, so make sure your VW dealer gets you the right one :)

Pic of the location of the circlip can be seen in a picture in this thread: viewtopic.php?t=44064

Cheers.

Thats the one!

Awsome, thankyou very much!

Here's to hoping its the only thing thats going to have to be sorted on it! Its due MOT in May lol