Sign in to follow this  
blitz877

vr6 into 1.8 16v??

alright guys, what problems might i encounter with the above swap?? my car has the old k-jet injection system on it so im asuming there would be some kind of wirring issue?

any help is much appreciated

cheers adam

It would be a pain in the ass. Not saying it's impossible but when weighed up against just buying a VR, considering the prices, why not just buy a VR to begin with?

It's not until you take these cars right to pieces that you realise all the small differences between production years and models, even the bare shells have differences.

Then you've got potential insurance issues with a modified car vs standard VR6.

It's much like the old threads on Club GTI etc about turning a golf driver into a GTI.

Of course if you have both complete vehicles already (totally complete donor car) and the doner VR has an unrepairable/uneconomic to repair shell and plenty of time on your hands it's obviously possible.

i only paid £150 for the car so its not an issue, i might just run carbs instead of the engine swap

Blimey 150!

If you are considering an engine swap why not do something a little more daring :norty:

hello mate,

ive done the vr conversion into mine. its very straight forward as long as you have all the correct parts and a good solid vr + box to start with. i was in the same boat, had a run down car and managed to pick up a dirt cheap 90k vr block + box. Its been a very worthwhile conversion for me as im happy with the vr6 itself, plus my plan has always been to go vrt. electrics are pretty straight forward, there is no fuel pump issue, the old k jet fueling loom mirrors the vr's fueling loom. its just the engine bay loom that needs to be changed (and the speedo loom). you also have the choice to keep the 4 stud wheel pattern if you choose.

Insurance wise, Chris Knott have looked after me on that front, fully comp with all the mods + wheels declared, 2years no claims and an accident within the past 3 years. Just over £500, including 350 excess and all the standard cover + 90days EU driving. i thought this was pretty good!

p/m me if you want any info.

Chris