Sign in to follow this  
rixy

G60 - Running on 3 Cylinders???

Hi peeps, im going to collect a Black g60 raddo later this morning, thats running on 3 cylinders..??? Its got good service history, and apparently worked fine one day, then left it for a week or 2, and when restarted, has ran on 3 ever since??

The car has been into a garage and has been fault code checked (which doesnt mean alot, as diagnostics is faily simple on these isnt it??) anyway...the fault codes were clear, no faults??

Just wondered where i should start looking??

Injector seals??

Plugs, leads, dizzy, hall sender??

Any ideas, on what could cause it, and where to start first??

AFAIK it has a problem changing gear to - could this be a worn / stretched cable, or could it have slipped adjustment?? :gag:

will do.............but where do i start??

Im pretty sure its cylinder 2 thats not running (2nd one in from charger) as when i remove that spark lead, it doesnt affect the running, however, if i remove the other 3, it only runs on 2, if that makes sense?? So im pretty certain i've identified which one it is??

Could be a blocked injector or summit i suppose??

Could i put a mk2 digi injector on there, that i know works, just to see if it runs on 4?? im guessing flow rates, and pattern would be diff, but just to check it works?? Before i go and buy some new ones....

will do.............but where do i start??

Im pretty sure its cylinder 2 thats not running (2nd one in from charger) as when i remove that spark lead, it doesnt affect the running, however, if i remove the other 3, it only runs on 2, if that makes sense?? So im pretty certain i've identified which one it is??

Could be a blocked injector or summit i suppose??

Could i put a mk2 digi injector on there, that i know works, just to see if it runs on 4?? im guessing flow rates, and pattern would be diff, but just to check it works?? Before i go and buy some new ones....

any evidence that fel is getting into that cylinder,i.e after running the engine is the plug wet?

Just swap a couple of injectors around.

If the fault moves to another cylinder then it is the injector.If it stays where it is start looking at the ignition system.

I'd suspect the injector wiring if original - G60's run so hot the wires go brittle

There is a test in the bentley where you measure resistance at the plug for the rail to see if you have all the injectors in circuit.

i'll try swappin the injectors 1 night this week then, good idea that:-)

and i dont suppose u can tell me what this test is from the bentley do ya?? i dont have one, and cant afford one :-(

Yes mate...

At the fuel rail plug (the end of the plastic injector carrier) you should measure between 3.7 to 5 Ohms if all 4 injectors are in circuit (doesn't actually prove they are working / spraying correctly though)

If you read 5 - 6.7 Ohms then you are only seeing 3 injectors, 7.5-10 ohms = 2 Inj and 15-20 ohms = 1

Not bad thanks mate - just been busy with work etc...

Will hopefully start to do a few car bits and get to some shows this year now the weather has picked up a bit!

wicked stuff, glad all is ok, hopefully see you moseying about at some shows then m8 :-)

Do u lot still have meets out ur way, or not any longer? Havent seen since cgti disappeared?

Im still trying to organise some kind of decent norfolk / suffolk meet for EC-DC, so we can all get together from all corners of the east :-)

any ideas??

Hi mate, the only one I really know of is DubSuffolk which is usually pretty good (although I've not been for months)

It's the Norfolk side of Suffolk too so not too bad a drive for you boys!

swap the leads over?!

simple stuff rather than messing around with injectors

or have you forgotten about fault finding on cars?!

swap the leads over?!

simple stuff rather than messing around with injectors

or have you forgotten about fault finding on cars?!

the leads work fine, nowt wrong with them.......sparking correctly on all cylinders......will do an ohms test 2mo night, and check for wet plug after running it etc.......

Stop it with your sarcasm mr brighton, lol...... Hows u anyway mate?? Corrrr....its like a big raddo re-union, ha ha!!

Might have to pop along to a suffolk meet maybe one day??

you didnt say they were ok did you?

never enough sarcasm, there is always room for more!

im just freakin dandy, what about you?

not bad...will be better when the g60 is running better, and is mot'd and ready to use........then it can be stripped for paint :-)

hows the better half??

right then "supercharged", i've done the test......

I think i had my multimeter set to the right setting, pic below.........

17032009744.jpg

And the reading was 05.3 at the end of the rail??

Does this mean its effectively 5.3 - meaning its above 5, and meaning i have 1 injector down?? Or have i set the multimeter incorrectly??

If this is the correct reading, and i have got 1 injector down due to wiring, can it be rectified, or does it mean i need a new rail?? Im guessing i can try and find the reak, and replace the wiring?? Is any mk2 golf gti digi rail the same?? If so, i have a couple of spare anyhoooooo??

Yeah looks correct mate and it's most likely a wiring issue - the wires go very brittle where they pop thru the plastic or it could be just a plug not seated correctly...

You need to remove the loom thing and then measure each of the injectors - the loom inside the plastic bit is similar on a lot of digifant cars, you're best getting a new one but I found a good one on an Audi where becuase of the way it was mounted, it showed no wear at all - I think half the problem is the G60's run so hot and there is not a lot of room for air in that engine bay.

what do you mean by measure each injector??

I might whip it off, and try another rail loom at the weekend if i can find one of my spares (as they came off a working car, so should be good) and see what happens....

i know what ya mean about them running hot in there, there's alot of crap wedged in the bay of a g60 :-) by crap i mean charger, and boost pipes, ha ha.......worth it though i suppose, lol

finally converted to forced induction corrados then? you need a go in my turbo, makes the g feel slow :shock:

nah, i always liked g60's, but i'd still have my VR6 over a g any day - the lazy way the engine runs in a vr, and the noise........mmmmmmm......

Lol, nah, i got the g60 for a very veryreasonable price, with a few issues to sort, then at least i got a raddo i can play with, and tweak, and i can finally find the will power to leave my vr alone :-)

Anyway, i was converted to forced induction after running my 160bhp g40 for a few months, lol, im thinkin a g60 can only be better, and its raddo shaped, instead of crappy mk3 polo :-) :notworthy:

here r the results of an hours playing :-)

19032009751.jpg

think i've found the problem, and u was exactly right "supercharged"

changed it for a mk2 digi loom that was in full working order, and away she goes - 4 cylinders again :-)

cheers m8

now, im no electrician, but i can see there is a problem with that loom....there are only 3 plugs?!?!

:epicfail:

LOL - Yeah that's fairly dangerous - especially with that small fuel pipe at the end of the rail - I'd check and replace that too!