Sign in to follow this  
krnau

please ..... what suspension should I get?

Hi to all.

Actually I have some brock b1's 7.5 x 16 in front, and 9x16 rears.

I also have yellow selex (competition :S) and they seem to be too agressive.... at first I loved them but now I am like a bit fed up with them... lowered 9cm :nuts: so my rear wheels usually hit rear arches :( :( :(

I have just paid 60€ :brickwall: :brickwall: to a garage to 'put' my rear suspension 'harder'... and I can't stand it.... I have driven the car for 1hour and I have got a head ache :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: ........pf.....

I have heard of Bilstein+eibach.....

I would like to lower the car maximum 3cm (comparing to stock height), and that rear wheels don't hit the arches any more..... and also drive more comfortably ............. I am fed up of hitting every stone, hole, and cigarret end with my bottom!!!!!!!!!!

thanksª

i think if you raised the car from 90 to 30 mm drop it would seem a lot better! but they are stiffer than standard yes, you could go standard with shorter springs but that could be expensive!

depends what your budget is really but if your just looking for a 30mm drop a spring/shock combo'd be cheaper than coilys. I've got weitec hicon gt on mine and they are fine for lots of miles and you can get it pretty dam low!

hmm thank you all. I have been thinking about stock ones...... :(:( but I like lowered rados 8)

well finally I will leave the selex competition ones until next MOT (on september :() and then maybe get a bilstein+eibach combination :) I hope on september I have finished the university so I can get a good job and pay the bilstein (here in spain they are very expensive, about 600&)

well finally I will leave the selex competition ones until next MOT (on september :() and then maybe get a bilstein+eibach combination :) I hope on september I have finished the university so I can get a good job and pay the bilstein (here in spain they are very expensive, about 600&)

Hi mate

I am in the same position, I wouldnt get Bilstein and Eibach they will be harsh!

I am looking at replacing my Eibach springs with H&R ones or looking at some KW coilovers with 'comfort' spring rates.

Matt

arnau yes a 30mm drop will be less harsh than a 90mm, as long as its done correctly. Each time the car is dropped lower, the springs you buy for this car need to be stiffer/stronger - this will prevent the spring from bottoming-out and giving that crash-bang effect. Therefore the standard springs are the most comfortable.

In theory, all 35mm drops would feel the same, regardless of make.

I recall the standard springs doign a nice job of not too much body-roll and gave plenty of comfort. However it looks a bit 4x4. Therefore lots of people Dropp, most common is 40mm - I tried my hardest to find 30mm and failed, but from memory some people managed to find 35mm.

Also remember tyres make a difference. I love 16 inch wheels and IMO they're best for teh corrado for handling and comfort, well balanced. The standard 15 wheel will mean a bigger tyre wall and thus potential for soaking up the bumps better. Go the other extreme to a 17 wheel and expect a very firm ride. The tyre brand will also play a factor, as the cheapo tyres like toyo and uniroyal have softer side walls, compared to the likes of bridgestone who have stiffer walls and in theory more stable. Runs flats - expect to feel evey tiny ant you squish.

Koni, H&R are commonly liked on here. Bilstien are well known to the VW scene, VERY good, and make stuff for the C and Golf. Only consider coilovers if you're extremely pinikity over ride height and will want to do Track Days seriously; for road use you'll never adjust them, you dont seem the type of guy to go overly fiddling.

Go to the Wiki to find the Tyre Bible where it tells you about all sorts of stuff about setup. Just remember that the springs primarily take the bumps, whereas the shock absorber foremost will deal with the rate the car rises back to a rest position and also deals with undulations etc; you'll need a sports shock with low springs.

If the ride is still harsh, then suspect some knackered bushes, top mounts.

hi, thank you all for your replies :)

I will pick my wheeled-ironpiece ( :lol: ) later on and once I get some money I will recover this post again :)

thanks!