Sign in to follow this  
AB

electric water pump

how important is this :shrug: . i realise VW put it there for a reason but a mates has/feels like its stopped working. will he be fine for a while?

what is its role as most cars make do with just the normal waterpump?

thanks adam

It's there to circulate water after the engine is shut off and also to take the strain off the heater matrix - It's a cheap enough part and I would replace it asap!

yeah, defoo replace it if its not working?? Think they are only like £70.00 genuine or summit?? Not worth not doing it.........

Apparently as above has mentioned, its there to circulate water after the engine is off, so it stops the head getting too hot,

I've heard if not, it can lease to bigger problems, like bore ovalising, and pr-mature head gasket failure??

Yes the block retains a lot of heat, and so the water inside it can get too hot and no longer cool the block evenly leading to distortion between the head and block which are made from different materials and therefore contract at different rates......, so they addad a pump to prevent this from happening.

cheers lads, pretty sure its getting done this weekend now. i was just curious as you see all these smooth minimal bays and half time the pump is missing (maybe hidden) was just interested in its role but fully understand now cheers and yeah agree would defo pay to get it sorted!

I know of several VR6 Turbos with the electric pump deleted and they are all fine. A few of them are daily drivers. I don't use the electric pump either.

But if you want to use it, try cleaning it out first.

Take the pump off and unscrew the 4 screws holding the 2 plastic mouldings together. Once seperated, pull the impeller off it's spindle and clean off all the metal debrix from both magentic drive cups. Reassamble and it will be a lot quieter and faster.

I've got a picture at home of an 18 month old pump that practically stopped due to debris build up between the magnetic drives, and it was all down to a cheap arse GSF metal water pump (the main one), so my advice is to use a plastic bladed pump!

I know of several VR6 Turbos with the electric pump deleted and they are all fine. A few of them are daily drivers. I don't use the electric pump either.

I don't think they were even on some of the very early VR's were they?

ah interesting info there.

cheers again guys takes the pressure off a bit