Sign in to follow this  
Chris

3.68 Final drive into a vr box, is it an easy diy?

is a 3.68 final drive into a vr box an easy/not too hard diy? i need to bring my gearbox to life without breaking the bank.

any idea what the new & 2nd hand costs of these are too?

any advice appreciated :)

Chris

cheers guys, that answers that question :) im not too bad with a spanner but if its more of a job for an experienced mechanic ill take your word for it. i do happen to have a couple of them at my disposal so i shall enquire.

any more info on fitting and prices for my reference?

When i fitted my hybrid Vr6 gearbox with a new Peloquin LSD the hardest part was getting the crownwheel off

the old diff.I don't have a hyd. press so i heated the ring gear with a blowtorch and used a mallet and bashed the bastid out.

I didn't even have to mess around with pre-load shims as i used the existing shims,1000KM done and no funny noises.

Getting the new ring gear on is easier because the (new) diff. bolts pull the gear onto the diff.

You could use VEEDUBBED'S patented method of pre-load checking,install the diff. back into the gearbox casings and with the oil drain plug removed turn the crownwheel using a screwdriver in it's normal direction of rotation,the pre-load is accetable if you feel some resistence when turning/pushing the crownwheel's teeth.

It must not be locked up or slop around,i make it sound easy but if in doubt let someone with experience tackle the job...and pay the bugger lotz for the privelege :D