Sign in to follow this  
Sonicriot13

Couple of gearbox questions

Took the Rado out today and am not at all happy with the clutch and gearbox. The clutch has always felt heavy compared to other cars I drive but today it felt really bad. Going through the service history it had new clutch master and slave cylinders in November 2004. Is it possible one or other or both are shot again? When you depress the clutch pedal with the engine off (and are able to hear anything other than the engine running) you get this horrible creaking noise. Sounds awful. Is it worth giving it a bleed to see if that helps?

Also the gear change itself is really notchy. It's fine as you set off but gets worse and worse as it heats up. Is this likely to be the result of old oil or something more sinister?

How old is the clutch pal? The bush the release bearing slides on can get really sticky, usually this gets cleaned up when a new clutch goes on, so your clutch feels much lighter again.

Probably very old. Haven't noticed anything in the history to suggest when it was last changed, if ever. Could it be the release bearing and/or associated components that are making the creaking noise? It appears to be coming from the base of the slave cylinder.

Hi matey - When was the fluid last changed?? What about gear oil?

As for the shift, G60's are notoriously notchy but check you have the weight fitted, the support bar to the mount and that all the mounts are good.

One thing to try is blast that whole area with WD40 or even pressure wash it to get rid of any old grease / grit etc...

Then grab a glove full of CL grease and work it into the shift assembly, you'll need to do few miles before you notice the difference.

Hi matey - When was the fluid last changed?? What about gear oil?

As for the shift, G60's are notoriously notchy but check you have the weight fitted, the support bar to the mount and that all the mounts are good.

One thing to try is blast that whole area with WD40 or even pressure wash it to get rid of any old grease / grit etc...

Then grab a glove full of CL grease and work it into the shift assembly, you'll need to do few miles before you notice the difference.

Not sure when the fluid in the clutch was last changed but at a guess I'd say not since the cylinders were renewed so will do that pronto. I bled all the brakes when I did the brake lines but didn't do the clutch. :roll:

As for the gear box oil God only knows. Probably not going to like what I find when I change it....

I like your WD40/CL grease tag team effort. Will defo give that a go and see if it makes any difference before I start replacing major components. :D

Just hope I can get it running better for the trip up to the AGM in a couple of weeks.

Probably very old. Haven't noticed anything in the history to suggest when it was last changed, if ever. Could it be the release bearing and/or associated components that are making the creaking noise? It appears to be coming from the base of the slave cylinder.

Yeah, the extra friction makes the mechanism groan, I had exactly the same going on with mine, I damaged my master cylinder because I didn't get it changed soon enough and it was putting too much strain on that too. When I eventually put in a new clutch I couldn't believe how light it was, night and day difference.

Gearbox fluid change is always a very good idea too as Supercharged says it really can help the gears slip through and prolong the bearing life.

Thanks for your input kip. I'm gonna grease up my mechanism and replace my fluid and oil over the next week and just see what difference that makes but I think you might be right about the clutch. I'll keep you posted. :D