Sign in to follow this  
Walesy

Weird Fuel Consumption - TDI

Yes its not a Corrado, but I thought i'd ask in here as there's a few knowledgeable people around, and a severe lack of decent T4 forums to get info from!

My van returns around 600 miles from a tank when i'm driving around locally, but when I do long journeys this drops to around 500! Now every other vehicle i've ever had has given better fuel economy on long runs so this is baffling me tbh! Does anyone have any suggestions as to why this is?

The engines a 2.5TDI, and it's been re-mapped (from 102bhp to 129bhp) - am I right to assume that this has something to do with the re-map? or could there be another reason that it's using more fuel on long runs. To be honest, i'm not particularly bothered by it as I do more local driving than I do long runs, but it seems a little odd so i'd like to know the reason behind it.

:camp:

That is really weird. Do you travel faster on long trips?

Perhaps it's the increase in wind resistance drag at higher speed thats causing it? And the engine having to work a little harder to push against the drag? :shrug:

Other than that I'm stumped

Wind resistance was my first thought, but having asked other van owners they all seem to get better economy on long runs so it can't be that, Its really weird!

I don't go much faster than 80mph (3k revs) ever so its not like i'm ragging it, I can only assume it must be something to do with the re-map?