Sign in to follow this  
sixpotter

Loss of wipers, washers, heated window and fans

Had the car parked up for 2 days after Spring Fest got in it yesterday to find that none of the above worked at all....bad times. Also noticed the ABS light came on too.

Has this happened to anyone else, fuses look ok too.

Sorry this isn't technical and pointing to an obvious answer, but the following will help avoid questions from others later and is free...

- you've checked all those fuses then?

- you've not recently installed some ICE?

- not had water leaks?

- tried simply checking for loose wiring?

After that someone here will hopefully point to some basic unplug and check this etc; again cheap. Failing those steps you could find someone with Vag-com, but wouldn't bother with that idea just yet (unless you know someone local).

I did check the fuses 5 and 6 i think they looked fine, will replace anyway to be certain.

No ICE installed and no water leaks that i know of, however did have a new windscreen a couple of weeks back and the top seal flew out on the motorway...I would have still thought it was water tight due to being bonded??

Will check under bonnet for loose/corroded connections tomorrow, also read from a search that after waxing the bonnet and lifting after rain that a lot of water can pour into the wiper motor, would this cause all the other things to blow too?

Any more advice welcome

Cheers Stuart

thought you'd had them all nicked for a moment reading the title! see, its not as bad as it could be!! :D

Its the X contact relief relay by the sounds of it.

The relay is used to cut power to all the high draw electrical circuits when the engine is being started so its get maximum juice from the battery.

I can't remeber what the location is in the relay board but it is very likely to be at fault.

Cheers for that, changed fuses and checked connections all ok but no difference.

Just need to find the relay now and where to buy one...

Cheers for that, changed fuses and checked connections all ok but no difference.

Just need to find the relay now and where to buy one...

VW only I'd imagine, but wont cost the earth. It's the one in position 4 with the number 18 on it, IIRC :)

[EDIT]It should click when you crank the engine :)

cheers people, now off to try find one on a sunday as im making a 3 hour drive at 1 and cant just rely on god to hold back the rain!

Nicked one off my friends mk2 GTI for the day, everything works now so was definatly the right diagnosis! Off to VW tomorrow to order one!

Thanks all

Gav