gussbuster

ABS on the fritz

Hey guys, my 92 SLC has been having an ABS problem for about a year now and I just cant seem to pinpoint the problem. Whenever I hit the brakes while driving, the ABS and brake light come on for about 2 seconds then go off. Now when its light normal braking, I dont notice any problems...However, if I need to really hit the brakes it seems like the whole system shuts down for the few (very valuble) seconds that the lights are on. The pedal barely moves and is extremely hard until the lights go off, then the pedal goes down normally and brakes work normally. The ABS will kick on after the 2 second light issue if im in a situation that the abs needs to kick in. Ive done blink codes in the past and they have given me wheel sensor malfunction. All problem sensors have been replaced and the others cleaned. I even replaced the ABS control module. Currently if I blink the system, it shows no codes found but the problem is definitely still there. Anyone know what the heck is going on here? Any help would be extremely appreciated!

Ok, I got into the car a little bit today and think maybe I have a little better handle on what could be causing this problem but id like some reassurance. Weather the car is running or just sitting with the ignition turned on, the abs "recharges" the accumulator about every 15-25 seconds or so. It only takes about a second for the recharge, but unless im mistaken, it should only have to recharge when you first start the car or after abs has kicked in. Am I correct here on how the system works? Now....am I looking at a leaky master cylinder? Or is my accumulator loosing pressure somehow. or maybe something else causing this? There is NO leaking of brake fluid anywhere so I can pretty well rule that out. Any help here would be realllllly appreciated!

any luck figuring this out?

I have seen some of the same issues and this weekend have had my ABS come on and stay on... and now the Brake Pedal is solid as a rock...

Thoughts?

thanks in advance.

You have a faulty ABS pressure accumulator. Im having the same problem which is that the accumulator does not hold pressure so it needs to be charged by the pump motor more often. Basically it discharges completely whenever you hit the brake pedal and that's why the ABS light comes on. You will probably need to change that part which is a pain in the ass to find.