Sign in to follow this  
andiG60

vr midrange?

so is the 3.94 final drive good for the G60? whats the difference in ratios and final drives between standard G60 and VR boxes? i'll be ghetting a ATB quaife diff like JoeM has at some point this year and want a new final drive with the possibility of running a 6spd. reading this i aint sure if all the info is more for the VR than the G60? i dont mind cutting the top speed down i just want to get there quicker!!! :lol:

OK, I just got back from Stealth (nice bunch down there, dead friendly 8) ) and after a chat that lasted the best part of half an hour, we've decided NOT to change the final drive ratio on my box. It will have VR6 input shaft with 1st, 2nd and reverse cogs (reverse needed 'cos it uses 1st so needs to match VR 1st to work!) complete rebuild with new seals/bearings and the like and a Quaife LSD with the standard final drive ratio.

The thinking behind this is that my new engine should be making plenty of low down torque but will still be nice and revvy so having a longer 1st and 2nd, then making the whole gearbox ratios shorter by putting a different final drive in would be a bit pointless... :? This way, I should be able to get a higher speed in 1st and 2nd and then hit third squarely in the power curve to be able to keep going... :D

Those of you who have VR6s at the moment, what top speed can you get out of 1st and 2nd (without blowing the engine up! :lol: ) I'm just trying to work out if this is the exact rebuild I want or not... I've got a week or so before they do anything to it as there's no LSDs available until the start of Feb, so I just want to re-enforce my thoughts on this... 8)

A standard VR will do about 70 in 2nd, not sure about 1st though, 40-45 as a guess.

Vince has been building boxes for donkeys years, so I'm sure what he advised is spot-on!

K

45 in 1st Kev?

I've always found 1st gear pretty useless, unless you're talking about hill-starts! :)

but wouldnt i be right in sayin, henny, that if you stick1st and 2nd of a vr, then shorten the final drive, it makes the new 1st two gears kind of back to standard ratios, which you say as pointless, but itll make 3rd and the rest phenomanal fun and accelaration, but then its surely keeping the driveability round town, ie no differnce til third where it takes off, sounds ideal to me :D

but wouldnt i be right in sayin, henny, that if you stick1st and 2nd of a vr, then shorten the final drive, it makes the new 1st two gears kind of back to standard ratios, which you say as pointless, but itll make 3rd and the rest phenomanal fun and accelaration, but then its surely keeping the driveability round town, ie no differnce til third where it takes off, sounds ideal to me :D

I never had a problem with the gearing of 3,4 or 5 (or reverse come to think of it! :lol: ) but 1st was just too short (although it's the same on the VR) and second was close to useless 'cos it was WAY too short... :?

It's all to do with the kind of driving you do... I'm mainly using my car for getting to and from work: 28 miles into Manchester every day in rush hour (no idea why it's a rush, everybody's stationary! :roll: :wink: :lol: ) 2nd was too high revs, 3rd too low for most of the stuff I was stuck in, so my fuel consumption was nasty... With the VR 2nd ratio, I should be able to leave it in second that little bit longer and not have to change gear every 30 seconds causing wear to the clutch and my knee! :wink: :roll: :lol:

I won't have the problems with the top end gears, I've got the engine upgrade to deal with that lot :wink: :-P It's the lower gears that have always been too short for my liking... this should get around that problem by shifting 2nd up that little bit further... And, as I say, it should knock at least half a second off my 0-60 'cos it'll be a gearchange less! 8)

yeah, was gonna make the point about the kind of driving too, i have a works van so only use the corrado for pi$$ing about in now. engine upgrades are good, but sheer accelaration comes from the box really. i dont mind 1st and second at the mo, second is too short, but ill probably do what i just described, to save them getting out of hand, unless theres one slightly longer than a vr 2nd? i mean my engines had a couple of lil upgrades too but more accelaration is always goo, and who stops a race at 60 anyway? i think 0-60 times are tripe.

i think 0-60 times are tripe.

Yup I tend to agree, but the useful one on my journey into work is 30 - 80 on the slip road onto the M56... If I can knock even half a second off that in the morning, I may save 10 minutes on my journey! :shock: :lol:

Yup I tend to agree, but the useful one on my journey into work is 30 - 80 on the slip road onto the M56... If I can knock even half a second off that in the morning, I may save 10 minutes on my journey!

yeah, but my point is, half a second either side of a gearchange to third dont mean nuthin.

its like VR owners saying my 0-60 time is faster, therefore my car is faster. fine then, race to 75 and put the shoe on the other foot then :wink: cause when your busy changing to third, ill sail past ya :lol:

yeah, but my point is, half a second either side of a gearchange to third dont mean nuthin.

its like VR owners saying my 0-60 time is faster, therefore my car is faster. fine then, race to 75 and put the shoe on the other foot then :wink: cause when your busy changing to third, ill sail pasy ya :lol:

Try it with a 30 tonne truck bearing down on you and you'll realise why you need the longer 2nd gear! :lol: :wink: :lol:

As I said, I don't do the whole racing thing unless I'm either at a proper strip, or on a track, in which case I'm just interested as to what my car can do rather than trying to beat everything on the track... 8)

Try it with a 30 tonne truck bearing down on you and you'll realise why you need the longer 2nd gear! :lol: :wink: :lol:

man i dont get this bit???

man i dont get this bit???

picture the scene... a motorway slip road, a small gap, and a 30 tonne truck coming along the motorway that has no inclination to let you into/through that small gap and into the middle / outer lane... With the standard box, from 20 to 50 I'd have to change gear loosing between half and one seconds worth of acceleration time... If second will hit 60 or higher, I won't have changed gear before I'm going faster than the truck and so am through the small gap and out into the less populated middle/outer lane... Miss the gap, hit the brakes, stuck until a nice trucker (they do exist, honestly! :wink: :lol: ) lets me in 'cos there's no way you can do 0-60 in what's left of the slip road after being cut up by a 30 tonne truck! :? I guess you have to do the sorta motorway milage that I do a year to realise just how much difference that extra half second or so can make lower down the speed range... 8)