Sign in to follow this  
Reggit

windscreen rubber trim

How is the rubber trim that looks like a seal but isn't supposed to be fastened in? Mine is coming away and looks rather unsightly, there looks to be silicone in the channel, is this right?

Ta for any advice.

Just had a new screen in my G60 the outer trim just pushes on after the screen has been fitted (probably sticks to some of the black stuff as well). The guy from Autoglass told me that silicone although it will stop a leak is very bad for sealing windscreens as it absorbs water and causes the car to rust. The stuff they use is black and sticky (called PU) but hardens once installed.

If you don't mind me asking but how much did it cost to get your windscreen sorted? :confused4:

A correctly fitted screen will mean there is enough of a squeeze on the trim to hold it in place. If the weight of the glass has not been properly supported while the bonding is setting it will slip down causing the gap to be too big to hold the trim in place.

Many are held in place with silicone!

Ahh, that explains all. I've never been too happy with it since autogl... lets say a major chain of fitters, put a new screen in a few years ago. I'm hoping to find somewhere reputable to do it again this year.

make sure they fit the lower screen trim back on before the adhesive sealant has set, as the plastic trim that is attached to the side of the screen rests on the lower trim and prevents it from dropping down, if it is done correctly the outer rubber trim should fit without the need for adhesive but it's not uncommon for the rubber trim to be bonded on.