Sign in to follow this  
gixxer

cv joints

Looks like the time has come for me to replace my cv joints. Anyone got an idea of VAG prices for these?, as I don't want to get cheap crap really. Can I replace them easily myself or will it require a trip to the local garage?

Easy enough to do yourself although the car will need a full on camber/caster set-up after.

Best bet is to drop both driveshafts out completely to do it.

I think a CV boot kit is around £20 per boot from VAG but that is a complete set of stuff to do the job properly, the CV lube is also in a handy size as you need to stick half of it on each side of the boot.

Cheers Yan, do you have any idea on the price of the joints themselves though? There seems to be a grinding when on full lock & moving off at low speeds so looking to replace the lot really.

Cheers Yan, do you have any idea on the price of the joints themselves though? There seems to be a grinding when on full lock & moving off at low speeds so looking to replace the lot really.

VR outers are showing as £85 ex VAT (that's a little out of date though)

4 cylinder outers are showing as £67 ex VAT a side (same again with the date of the price)

Right inner is £80.62 ex VAT (all cars)

Left inner is £104.88 ex VAT (all cars)

Baring in mind the individual cv joint costs you can get a whole left hand shaft for a VR for £208.23 ex VAT and a right hand shaft for a VR is £248.36ish.

Those prices may well be out a bit but it gives you an idea, be worth looking into the complete new shafts as they will be an easier fit and its not a massive amount extra per side.

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but surely it is possible to replace the CV joint without disturbing the camber/castor settings? I would have thought it would be possible to undo the pinch-bolt in the strut that locates in the lower ball joint pin, remove the strut top cap and essentially remove the entire front strut assembly (once the hub nut is undone).

Refitting would just be a case of relocating the ball joint pin in the lower section of the bearing housing, slotting the new CV joint into its spline in the hub and refitting the strut top cap....I would also have thought that doing that would improve access to the inner CV joints if you were planning on replacing those too...

Tom

Don't mean to hijack the thread, but surely it is possible to replace the CV joint without disturbing the camber/castor settings? I would have thought it would be possible to undo the pinch-bolt in the strut that locates in the lower ball joint pin, remove the strut top cap and essentially remove the entire front strut assembly (once the hub nut is undone).

Refitting would just be a case of relocating the ball joint pin in the lower section of the bearing housing, slotting the new CV joint into its spline in the hub and refitting the strut top cap....I would also have thought that doing that would improve access to the inner CV joints if you were planning on replacing those too...

Tom

Yes you can do that but the thing to remember is that the ball joint slides in and out of the wishbone as well. It would be fairly easy to mark up where the ball joint was sat on the wishbone and reset it but given the tiny amounts of movement involved in camber settings it would probably not go back in quite the right spot.

You don't need to remove the strut top either, you can put full steering lock on and swing the wheel and tyre out of the way complete with strut etc, however, given the ball joint relocation thing and that is never a bad idea to get camber and caster checked with the state of the roads its a worthwhile job anyway :)